The image potential recruits portray online

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2008
I coach at the NCAA Division I level, and I can attest to the fact that I do, in fact, notice the email addresses of prospective student athletes. And I do, also, use them along with many, many other criteria in my overall evaluation of her potential to succeed in -- and bring success to -- my program.

On a message board like this, it is careless to say that no reputable coach takes a second look at one's email address. Are there more important evaluation points of a PSA? Yes. Is there far greater emphasis placed on other attributes? Yes. But to tell curious parents and board readers that college coaches do not notice or take into account a PSA's personal information (email address, myspace page, interaction with parents in the parking lot of the tournament) is irresponsible.

JaneDoe_2010@hotmail.com gives off a far different first impression than SeXy_DuMb_BlOnDie@hotmail.com. It just does. Period. Especially in this age of free email accounts -- hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc -- there is no reason not to have a mature sounding account.

What does email address #2 say to me that email address #1 does not? It could show that #2 does not care about the first impression they give to a coach. It could say their parents aren't involved enough in the process to help guide them to the decision to have a separate email account. It could say they don't take the recruiting process seriously. It could also say that, at fifteen years old, they just haven't thought about it as much as I have because they're only fifteen years old. I get that, too. I am not deleting #2's email to me solely because of her account name. BUT, I don't overlook it, either. It will go along with all the many other snippets of information I will garner about this girl over her high school career -- and which will collectively help me make a decision about her future in my softball program.

I take recruiting very seriously. I have a well-defined recruiting philosophy, and I understand that my decisions about a PSA can have a substantial effect on their life. I also understand that my decision about PSA's year in and year out can have a substantial effect on the experiences of my current team, the success of my current team, and my own personal livelihood.

An email address is certainly not a deal breaker. Hitting is important. Fielding is important. Academics are important. Character is important.

I think Coach Stan would agree that he notices when a player has her shirt untucked. He notices what she does upon striking out or other adversity. He notices if she makes eye contact with her coaches and interacts well with her teammates. Presentation matters; whether on the field or off. In this electronic age, a good initial email is like a firm first handshake. And a not-so-great email is like a weak handshake. You remember it, like it or not.

Softball 2 I agree with everything you mentioned except about PSA's emails and how important they are. These kids, and they are kids, need some areas in their lifes to were they can be kids. Take a step back and revaluate where you are coming from did you act like an adult in every aspect of your life when you were 16-18. I bet not. But you have your opinion and I have mine. However I have discussed this with many and I mean many college coaches at all division levels but mostly at the D1 and they agree with my assement. I did mention that I was addressing this area only because it was being depicted that college coaches were so annal and I felt it was the wrong depiction.

Dec 3, 2008
In taking a step back to evaluate my own participation as a PSA in the recruiting process, I secured my own JaneDoe@hotmail.com address before corresponding with any college coach. I had my parents look over every letter I composed for grammatical mistakes before sending them out to college coaches. I sat up straight in the coach's office, maintained good eye contact, and answered his/her questions in complete sentences.

At home, I emailed my friends from my SillyKid@hotmail.com email address. I didn't think twice about spelling, punctuation and grammar. I goofed around on the weekends, but was still cognizant of that fact that any extreme actions on the negative end could affect my ability to play college softball.

I, too, have discussed email address with colleagues and have received opposing feedback to what you have.

As for being anal... the term itself isn't flattering, but the suggestion of carefulness, conscientiousness, and structure is something I will embrace. Let's use a softball metaphor: I am covering all my bases. I expect a lot from myself and a lot from members of my softball program. Likewise, I expect a lot from the PSA's I may one day welcome into our university. If you think that's anal, fine. I think it is scrupulous and couldn't hurt.

Seems you took my statement personally, thats too bad because it was not. Looks like we have a diagreement about kids being kids. You took a different aproach to how you were recruited and how you recruit. Good for you but from my experience a few of the kids a brought into the program would not have played for us and attended a great school and received an excellent education if I used their email address as guidance. I agree with everything else you discussed.

Again I am addressing this thread because I felt college coaches were being depitcted as not having a sense of humor, Using the word annal was not directed towards you but used to reflect how I feel this thread was depicting college coaches. Hey we do have a sense of humor too! Good luck with you upcoming season.

Dec 3, 2008
I was a late-comer to this thread, and you had discussed coaches being too anal before I offered my input, so it would be implausible for me to take it personally. To clarify, I did not take your comments prior to my contribution or following my contribution personally. Simply, I wanted to demonstrate that while you considered the email address issue too anal, others considered it conscientious. A differing of opinions, absolutely. But, I take no offense to your position. I just wanted to present the other side of the argument to anyone else interested.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812