The Illusive "Lost Pitch"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2016
My 9 y/o DD has been pitching for about 10 months now and really loves it. She just finished her 1st TB season. We are struggling a bit with consistency. She pitched great at the last tournament but then lost her pitch shortly there after. As of last night, I think we may have found it again but I was wondering what (if any) you all do for the "lost pitch"? I know one of the answers is simply practice, practice but is there anything else? I have to keep reminding myself that she is 9 and that will come with time also. Thanks so much for any help and for this great site (first post).

Jan 25, 2011
Welcome first of all. Sometimes a pitcher just doesn't have it that day. It happens. Yes, practice is one of the answers, but it isn't the only thing. My dd will be playing her last year of 18u next year and then college. I have learned after many years of this and listening to others. That sometimes it is just for what ever reason a bad day. I have learned from catching my dd that sometimes you are better off taking the day off or that game off and using another pitcher or if practicing stop and move on to something else, or just go have an ice cream cone and go home. Tomorrow will be a better day.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If her season is done I would go back to tarp work concentrating on her form and not worrying about the results of the pitch. Too many pitcher worry about throwing strikes vs. developing proper technique. Once her mechanics are solid, then start concentrating on hitting her spots.

Feb 22, 2013
At age 9, when my dd lost her pitch, it was most likely to losing her brush interference. Back in the day, I didn't call it brush interference, I just instructed my dd to hit her forearm to the inside of her hip and release the ball when she hit. This way, she would release the ball at the same time, at least when she would hit.

During her older years, when she was 12 to 16 years old, she would lose her pitch to crappy arm circles, stepping away from the power line, throwing her butt towards 1st base etc.

During her senior H.S. and college years, she would lose her pitch do to poor drive, no front side resistance, letting go of the ball before landing and when her college pitching coach had her start doing wrist flips and getting her hand behind the ball and clearing the hips when pitching.

I agree with JAD, work on proper pitching techniques. It may just be a minor adjustment or it could take a while to get back on track.

At age 9, it won't be long before some ding dong tells your dd to square her shoulders towards home plate and pitch like a slow pitch pitcher and just throw strikes. Your job will be to keep her focused and pitching with the proper techniques.

Jul 15, 2016
At age 9, it won't be long before some ding dong tells your dd to square her shoulders towards home plate and pitch like a slow pitch pitcher and just throw strikes. Your job will be to keep her focused and pitching with the proper techniques.[/QUOTE]

HA HA, we've already had plenty of "free advice" from people all over the park. I think we'll stick with what her coach tells us. I think the current issue is a lean towards home at the end of the pitch.

Thanks for the kind words!!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have to keep reminding myself that she is 9 and that will come with time also.

You are the second guy this week with this question.

Your DD is growing...all the time, every day. She is lucky she can walk across the floor without falling down.

So, your DD is going to be incredibly inconsistent until she is around 14YOA or 15YOA.. Then, she will no longer be a "little girl".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse