The Hesitant Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Having been only w my own daughters 12 and 16 and then mainly in baseball world for years, I didn't think of that....but that's a great point RAD. What are the options for women 20+ yrs if they aren't playing in college or just graduated?

There are mens leagues for baseball all the way till 70-80 yrs old. After college I took 10yrs off but then jpined a Sunday mens baseball league at 31.

Are there any fastpitch options for women? I know there are the top Pro leagues but that is the Top 1% of college players. Maybe some leagues in other countries...but for most I think most just go into slowpitch coed leagues but probably would love the opportunity to play fastpitch still on a more local level via a Travel Ball team.

Make it happen RAD!!! 😜
18+ age division is a conversation i shared few months ago with a regional tournament head for TCS.
In hopes to get it started.

Do think Calif and several other states have enough players to build some teams. Spoke with a few coaches here and it does sound like they also see it as a plus.
However
With the top org. coaches grouping up to do league...that will be there business interest.

Will take a fastpitch venue to step up to add the upper age bracket.

I see it as an extended showcasing opportunity for players caught up in this weird recruitment twilight zone episode thats going on.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
There are a limited number of tournaments available in eastern PA. Some will operate two divisions; 23u and open age. Open allows those older than 23 to play. Some tournaments we entered had enough teams to carry both divisions. Some became combined. The link below belongs to one of the events we attended in the past. There are not many options out there, but they do exist.

I agree with @RADcatcher regarding having an older division. And if there isn't enough interest, perhaps just schedule an exhibition game on Saturday night that includes local college players. Teams could provide a short one page program stating what colleges their players attend and it would give the younger players an opportunity to watch a higher level of softball. Good team bonding opportunity for a young travel team, and extra practice for the college players.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
if there isn't enough interest, perhaps just schedule an exhibition game on Saturday night that includes local college players. Teams could provide a short one page program stating what colleges their players attend and it would give the younger players an opportunity to watch a higher level of softball. Good team bonding opportunity for a young travel team, and extra practice for the college players.

Exhibition game☝ great ADD 👍

Apr 3, 2018
I use it ALL the time in every game. Even sometimes when a runner isn't really a threat...just to make sure the coach of the other team knows I will be trying to pick you, so they have just a slight hesitation on getting big leads.

We picked off 3 at 3rd base earlier this fall in one game and 2 in the next (different team). 2x with bases loaded. Other coach called me later and asked how the hell we are so successful at it. "Lucky I guess." ;)

I also like back picks at 1B w bases loaded w 1st base coming in from behind and squeezing in front of runner and the base. For some reason some coaches/girls think if its bases loaded nobody cares about the runner at 1B and they get like 20 ft off the base.

We also have a backpick play call at 2B when the runner isn't paying attention as she walks back to 2B with her head down not looking at catcher before she throws back to pitcher. We put in time with our catchers practicing "acting" like they don't pay attention to 2B for an inning or so to set it up for later.

I compare setting picks up like a OC in football. You run certain plays or do certain things early to set up bigger plays later bcuz you see what the D does and how they react and start to see a pattern.

You are the kind of coach I wish my DD could play for. Your catcher(s) must love playing for you. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I have been fortunate to coach some really good catchers who had cannons. I do like for my catchers to throw. However, keep in mind that I love to coach against teams that let their catchers throw. That pick to first can turn into my runner being at 2nd.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Well I'll tell you that against teams that try the back pick I'll put a one way lead on for those baserunners who could be stealing. I do this to draw the throw. They either throw it away or mishandle it about 40% of the time usually by the the 3rd pickoff attempt. Especially with a LH batter.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Well I'll tell you that against teams that try the back pick I'll put a one way lead on for those baserunners who could be stealing. I do this to draw the throw. They either throw it away or mishandle it about 40% of the time usually by the the 3rd pickoff attempt. Especially with a LH batter.
Grow through that learning curve!
Important reason to teach and develop the catcher/defense on back picks.
SO ~ we learn to read the runners body language and distance off the bag. Any mishandling playing catch is definetly a skill set to work on!

Do you use your catcher and defense on back picks?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yes, her foot to knee was colors I never knew existed. It was kind of pretty.

I am good with C trying to get runner out, it is encouraged.

1 game DD is pitching, she works fast. She asked C to stop it.

runners were playing with C and 1st waiting for them to make a mistake.

Kind of like some on 3rd, if C Throws the ball to 3rd she is sliding over home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28