The good, the bad, and the ugly...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Marc...

You have been reading the outline of my book that I will never write...lol!! My husband has a great coaching style with knowledge of the rules and game. However, what he has learned (the hard way) is that team and coaching philosophy must be out front when bringing on new talented players. The athlete is rarely the problem, its coaches and parents and differing views on what is deemed foundational. Win at all costs? Athletic development? Fun? Formation of good memories? Positioning players according to potential? Who is coaching here?? Good communication? Unity of the coaching staff? I can go on and on. Unfortunately it doesn't matter what the sport...I have incredibly sad stories of shaming coaches, parents living vicariously through their kids, and coaches who don't know the theory of the game, no less the rules.

In my dream world, I see qualified coaches and instructors who respect all persons. Team means how you conduct yourself on and off the field, aplogizing when necessary. Guidelines. Established consequences. Accountability. Concession stands with healthy food. Parental support of the coaches. Good communication and understanding among the coaching staff. Athletic development where the athlete reaps the rewards of their commitment/hard work and fondly recalls their coaches who not only taught them the game, but strategies for life. Coaches who help develop athletes and realize they may never be recognized for their invest but find satisfaction in knowing the athlete can take their game to the next level and next coach. Safety. Umpires who are out there because they love the game and want to bring something to it rather than earn $XX while living on a power trip. Respect given to umpires on very questionable, difficult calls. Instructors, coaches, and parents who believe in proper execution and knowledge of training. Openmindedness. Communicating to appropriate parties rather than gossiping about others. Oh what a wonderful world it would be...

I strongly encourage every member to watch the video clips below. You may be tempted to evaluate some of the mechanics :) as I am found guilty, but the messages contained within EACH clip cannot be dismissed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNlVymXDdmE (Coaching Youth Sports)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E (Cudos, Mike Gundy)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ODqjUqW3c0U&feature=related (NCAA real Softball)

Ang

May 7, 2008
The questions no one asked...

What kind of a klutz tears up a knee like that?

Could the person who shot the video have been a worse photographer?

May 7, 2008
With all due respect, who is evaluating the photography? Who cares about the photography?

Itsallgood...I take it you hated the movie Coach Carter. I sit at many dusty ballfields and can withstand it when the wind blows...I can even appreciate the need for wind and the need for dirt :)

Ang

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I also was moved by the video of NCAA players helping the young lady who hurt her knee. I posted it on my own blog and sent it to everyone on my team. You always hope that the players you coach have that kind of character and class. You always hope you would also do the right thing in those situations. If a team is going to meet the President, it ought to be that one!

I'd also seen the football coach video before. I remember when it happened, many people in the media criticized him for what he said. I thought he was right on. Most college players will never become professional athletes. That's a fact even touted by the NCAA in its own commercials. A kid who is out there trying to do his/her best shouldn't have to be subject to undue anger and critique. No one really needs to call them out. They're simply someone's son or daughter, trying to do the best they can. You want to call someone out? Call out the thugs who abuse the privilege of playing sports at any level.

Ang, thanks for sharing all three videos. It's a good reminder of what sports are all about. If all you got out of the experience is a bunch of trophies you really missed the best part.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
@ang4yanks....Thanks. I like your world. I have tried to enact many of these things as a new TB coach and in 6 short months have learned many lessons about the worst in the Adults. Many of them are like you mentioned. They have been hard things to handle but I have come out the other side with a thicker skin and more determination then ever to continue on. My goals are not about win and losses and people cannot seem to understand that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802