The Good, the bad, and the ugly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 8, 2016
DD's HS team played an undefeated and top ranked team in the state last night. This team has a junior pitcher that is going to play for a P5 D1 school. This girl had averaged 2 strikeouts per inning since her freshman year. We had played them at home and DD's goal was not to strike out. She had jumped on the first pitch each time and hit 3 weak balls but didn't strike out. Last night was senior night for the opposing HS. A coach from her college of choice was in the stands watching. First at bat DD battled for 8 pitches but struck out. The pitcher went on to record 9 strikeouts and 1 walk in the first 3 innings. Second time at bat DD got to bat with 2 outs a runner who had reached on an error. She hit a line drive to left to score the run. The next batter hit a bloop over second that should have scored DD but the coach was saying go and she thought he was saying no so she got stranded on third. Third at bat she came up with the bases loaded and 2 outs and she was confident. Three swings later she understood why this girl is considered a premier pitcher. The opposing team tied it up in the bottom of the six 1-1. In the 8th DD got her 4th ab with a runner on second and hit a double off the left center fence to score a run and then scored when the next batter got a single. Home team. Last ab came with 2 outs in 2nd ITB. I could see the confidence in her batting stance. DD struck out on 8 pitches (3 nasty change ups of which she only fouled one off). We lost 4-3 in 2nd ITB.
DD's final stat line: 2-5 single, double, Stolen base run scored 2 RBI (3K's). One huge base running mistake that may have cost her team their best chance to win the game.
I was proud of her and disappointed in her mistake all at the same time.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Sounds like you have a lot to be proud of. Your DD became a better player right in front of your eyes. That experience will help her mentally, knowing she can go up against pitching like that. And the baserunning error? Well, dang it...I can offer you the following:

Game against our rivals last week. It was the craziest game I've ever seen, we had them (in the pouring rain and a mud bog of a field) until they put up 15 runs in one inning. We're down 6-15.

We battled back, we now sit 12-15 in the 7th. 1 out and a runner on 1b. DD hits a beautiful C.F. crack - feet from going over. DD is fast. Knows it's a triple, all day.

Forgets that runner ahead of her, not so fast. DD at 3b, runner at 3B...woops she didn't pick up base coach fast enough. Turns tail, heads back to 2 - too late and she's out.

The newspaper said she, "drifted too far past 2B." Uh, yeah she did. By about 58 feet...

I feel ya man.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812