The flute player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
@BradyC87 ... I think that is what @AW95SY was saying ...

What is important is that the players have fun when they are playing for you whether in practice or games. Success should be measured by what percentage of your players sign up next season because they want more of whatever you were doing.

That goes hand in hand with what you are saying about players not showing up because they don't want to. Your job is to make them want to. I'm not saying you are always failing if your players aren't showing up (there are plenty of reasons for kids not to show up) ... But you do need to look in the mirror and be willing to accept that answer if you are part of the problem.

I love your point about making a commitment and showing respect to your team! ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY! However most kids these days aren't necessarily going to get that from their parents. They need to get that from their coaches and their teammates. I always tried to stress to players and parents -- particularly at the rec level -- that it isn't just your team counting on you to show up. If you don't show up, there is another team of players just like you that also may not get to play that game.

May 6, 2015
I get the comments about accountability.

but at an 8u rec level, you also have to go in knowing SOMEONE is going to be a no show for virtually every game and practice (not necessarily same someone, although it may be). that is why rec rosters should have no less than 10, preferably 12. again, it is rec.

and we have never cancelled a rec game due to lack of numbers. we borrow from other team, play short, but we get the game in, even if "officially" (is there official 8u rec ball?) it was a scrimmage. kids dont care.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I remember one time with my son, we showed up for the baseball game that was on the schedule. The entire other team was there and we were the only ones from our team there. None of our coaches or players showed up. I don't remember what the communication breakdown was, but the other coach invited my son to join in the team practice that they ran instead of a game. I'll never forget that. What a great coach!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
False, hard to succeed when you can't play because half the team doesn't show up just because they don't feel like it. Having policies regarding attendance have nothing to do with winning or losing, its called making a commitment to a team and showing some respect to your teammates and coaches.
Sounds like the coach should have signed up for 8U Premier Diamond Elite Fast Pitch instead of rec 8U rec softball.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I've been catching up on this thread and doing my own reading on the subject. Part of me sees it from the stance of the majority here, its 8u rec, everyone should be treated the same. The last thing to do is punish the kid for the actions of the parents.

However, just think about the other side. I've read an article, and woah, could you imagine if this actually happened to one of your players as a coach of a youth team. It seems to me the coach is just setting expectations for the future. To me as a coach, the below scenario would be a nightmare...

Mar 28, 2014
I've been catching up on this thread and doing my own reading on the subject. Part of me sees it from the stance of the majority here, its 8u rec, everyone should be treated the same. The last thing to do is punish the kid for the actions of the parents.

However, just think about the other side. I've read an article, and woah, could you imagine if this actually happened to one of your players as a coach of a youth team. It seems to me the coach is just setting expectations for the future. To me as a coach, the below scenario would be a nightmare...

Lol......ummmm that is a satirical website. Actually takes it a step further beyond our thought that 8u Rec is essentially meaningless in the grand scheme of things and indicates how inconsequential 13u Travel Ball is in relation to a kid's future.

The Dingerville Times
thedingervilletimes.com

1. Satirical news website with a focus on youth baseball.

May 29, 2019
This thread is painful in so many ways...

-I thought "Rec" was short for Recreational? Just have fun.

-8U "select/travel/whatever" should not even be a thing.

-8 Year olds have no control of their own life. Wanting to hold them accountable for their parents inability to get them to practice is sad.

-The thought of punishing an 8 year old Rec player by sticking them in RF because they "have" to play is sad. Our lower age Rec teams rotate all the players into every position, and try to get somewhat equal playing time.

-There is favoritism, and then there is perceived favoritism. I've seen it time and time again where the kids (and parents) pointing out playing time/favoritism, are actually the ones that get the most playing time.

Hopefully the OP, parent, and player all get on the same page and everyone ends up happy.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Lol......ummmm that is a satirical website. Actually takes it a step further beyond our thought that 8u Rec is essentially meaningless in the grand scheme of things and indicates how inconsequential 13u Travel Ball is in relation to a kid's future.

The Dingerville Times
thedingervilletimes.com

I’m thinking he knows that it is satire

Apr 26, 2019

The Dingerville Times
thedingervilletimes.com

Don't tell him about this guy. It will blow his mind.🤫

May 6, 2015
This thread is painful in so many ways...

-I thought "Rec" was short for Recreational? Just have fun.

-8U "select/travel/whatever" should not even be a thing.

-8 Year olds have no control of their own life. Wanting to hold them accountable for their parents inability to get them to practice is sad.

-The thought of punishing an 8 year old Rec player by sticking them in RF because they "have" to play is sad. Our lower age Rec teams rotate all the players into every position, and try to get somewhat equal playing time.

-There is favoritism, and then there is perceived favoritism. I've seen it time and time again where the kids (and parents) pointing out playing time/favoritism, are actually the ones that get the most playing time.

Hopefully the OP, parent, and player all get on the same page and everyone ends up happy.

great post overall, but the above has to be modified at times for reasons of safety and/or to keep the game moving. ie 1B, P, 3B all have to be players that pay attention, and can field somewhat decently, and 1B needs to at least try and catch a ball thrown to them, not cover their heads with their hands and turn away

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K