The flute player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Nothing, but you guys are jumping to a lot of conclusions without any supporting evidence too.
Only thing I am saying in this particular case is that you shouldn't punish the kid because the parents either don't know how to use a messaging app or decided that going to practice was an inconvenience to them. That latter reason is a form (albeit not life changing) of negligence no?

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Oh, and just to dispel the theory about the neglected kid. This isn't some inter-center, urban rec league where half the population is at the poverty line. I have parents driving Lexus', Porches and even one with a Ferrari, to practice.

I've seen situations like this in the past where the family just doesn't have a sense of team commitment. Some are even paying thousands of dollars to "play" on select clubs in various sports. Yet, the parents/kids don't really take it seriously and everyone wonders why they even bother. I hope that's not the situation here.

I'll post again after I've actually had a chance to evaluate the player.

Ha, you asked a question...

If you've been in a similar situation, I'd love to hear how you handled it?

You got an overwhelming response supporting the side of don't treat her differently, and don't punish her because of her parents. It's 8u REC

RAD has said that excuses are no good, which they aren't.

Lastly, you're not the only 8u coach to have
1-A super competitive group of girls
2-who runs a program more like select than rec
3-gotten frustrated with attendance.

Heck, I've been right there with you... But as someone on the other side DD1 is playing on a real "ultra competitive" national ranked 14u team, take a breath. When you get to the upper age divisions and are still hard charging, there's so much that's "not fun" you'll look back and wish that you had a different perspective (IMO).

But do what you want, it seems as if you were less concerned with getting feedback as your were of validating your feelings.

Good luck, I feel for you in this situation with this player and her parents.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
However, there are also other little kids that give up other things, or dont do other things to keep their commitment.
If the kid chose to do something else besides go to practice I agree with you on this. That was not ever communicated as far as I can tell.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
[/QUOTE]="pattar, post: 549768, member: 14754"]
Only thing I am saying in this particular case is that you shouldn't punish the kid because the parents either don't know how to use a messaging app or decided that going to practice was an inconvenience to them. That latter reason is a form (albeit not life changing) of negligence no?
[/QUOTE]

Okay, your a sweet softy,
20171011_164314-1-1.jpg

Mar 28, 2014
Nothing, but you guys are jumping to a lot of conclusions without any supporting evidence too.
You ASKED US how we have handled it but you just don't like the answers you're getting because you seem to have an anger issue with the parent and want to take it out on the kid. Here is my evidence that I'm right about that. Your words -

this parent seems completely disinterested and wants to participate only when it's convenient to him. He clearly lied about not knowing anything about practices. His DD is going to be batting last and playing all time RF when she's not sitting on the bench. I don't care if she's the best player on the team.

We are talking about 8u Rec ball here. Regardless of what you think, they won't be learning any life lessons by sitting the bench because their father doesn't want to take them to practice.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
You ASKED us how we have handled it but you just don't like the answers you're getting because you seem to have an anger issue with the parent and want to take it out on the kid. Here is my evidence that I'm right about that. Your words -

this parent seems completely disinterested and wants to participate only when it's convenient to him. He clearly lied about not knowing anything about practices. His DD is going to be batting last and playing all time RF when she's not sitting on the bench. I don't care if she's the best player on the team.
That certainly goes to the point of dont take it out on the kid.

I interpreted those op comments as unknown assumptions.
Responded to it as.....
"Since no-one really knows"

This scenario has all sorts of issues/fallout/interpretations
that "imo" will effect everybody differently no matter what decision is made.

Imagine you make every arrangement you can, jump thru every hoop to get your kid there.

Another parent nothing,
kid no -show 50%
But gets to play just as much.

You can say its just 8u rec....
But the complaint department office is full....
And possibly....just possibly
Rec ball issues are the worst;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802