The Drop Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 22, 2019
My 10u DD was originally shown a drop ball from a HE PC. My daughter has never practiced it at home bc the same PC also instructed her CU (a Flip Change) that Sarah Pauly told my DD to “never throw again” at a clinic. I’m actually really impressed with her Flip Change so the jury is out as to why she was told not to pitch it...it could be that she really goofed it up at that particular moment? Regardless-the Pauly’s did a quick demo of their CCCC change.

This post is not* about a CU (I’m like a squirrel !) it’s more about the fact that my DD doesn’t want to employ the drop ball she was shown if it’s not proper.

Please share all your drop ball wisdom. If you have something visual, even better!

(Quick background: she’s 9 years old & about 9m into pitching. She originally saw 2 PC’s who claimed they taught “the new style” but I found them to be about 90% HE & 10% IR. We stopped private lessons and I took the initial classes with Pauly online & home instructed. She throws a 40mph fastball & that beautiful flip change with good accuracy. We’re now 2 lessons in with a Tincher PC who’s “in training” herself. I know a drop ball is coming our way!)

I’d love to hear it from this community before hearing it from my DD’s new PC as I like to be an educated consumer! I want some insight so I can follow along with what she’ll learn! Thank you for your wisdom!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Your DD is very young and has plenty of time to develop a drop ball. My advice would be not to rush it. Focus on building her fastball mechanics, velocity, and command. You can go a long way with a good fastball and change up. My DD is about to turn 14 and we've been at this about 4.5 years. We are still honing her fastball and change up and started working on the drop ball a couple months ago. You have to walk before you can run. Girls adding pitches too quickly, in my view, is a common problem. And, in reality, no girl is likely to ever actually command more than 3 pitches.

As far as the change up, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, I think what Sarah Pauly was suggesting is that at higher levels of play that so-called flip change may be less effective, particularly if her arm action is perceptibly different and the ball comes in high and sort of floats. Even at 14U, and definitely at 10U and 12U, I see very few girls that can command their change up, particularly of the flip variety. Not saying your DD can't or isn't, just that I haven't seen it work very well.

Good luck. As you've already figured out, this site is a great resource.

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
Stick with Fastball mechanics, the Drop comes right out of that pitch. If the FB mechanics are good, the drop is easy to teach by getting the spine and posture move vertical on release. Keep working I/R! I've never been a fan of the flip change, Most of my kids have a hard time locating it where it needs to be. As always feel free to message me on Instagram if you need anything!

Jay

May 25, 2018
My DD is 14, when she started working her drop it messed up her FB for a bit. I agree that I wouldn't worry about a 3rd pitch yet. Get locations with the FB and CU first.
That being said my DD throws a flip change and is getting pretty good at her drop. Pretty sure the PC tells her to shorten her stride and finish with her palm down at the bottom of her left pocket to get on top of it.

Nov 8, 2018
What I can say my dd and i have been through the ringer when it comes to HE coaching, drop balls , change ups and screw ball techniques. The problem was it’s taught different when you are HE vs IR. Simply because the arm wrist and finger actions are different.
If you are sticking with IR methodology and technique it’s better to learn the releases related to it. And not HE. DAH! Right.
Anyway, the previous poster is correct. Don’t rush how many pitches she learns too early. Until she “masters” the fast ball with proper IR the rest will just be a waist. And confusing. When she gains a solid grasp of the IR motion with good brush contact learning the drop isn’t that difficult really. It’s a matter of turning the hand over harder. The details are a bit more complicated but in the macro view that’s about all that’s needed to know.
As far a change. Yeah, a flip will work at her age here is the problem as stated before. It will look different and may get picked as you get older. Why because a flip has no brush contact. IMO. Sarah was correct. You will eventually want to go with a circle change or other that will look identical to a drop or fast ball out of the hand. My dd has master disguise of the change and it’s viscous. You want slower, spin , location and deception
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
What I can say mia we have been through the ringer when it comes to HE coaching, drop balls , change ups and screw ball techniques. The problem was it’s taught different when you are HE vs IR. Simply because the arm wrist and finger actions are different.
If you are sticking with IR methodology and technique it’s better to learn the releases related to it. And not HE. DAH! Right.
Anyway, the previous poster is correct. Don’t rush how many pitches she learns too early. Until she “masters” the fast ball with proper IR the rest will just be a waist. And confusing. When she gains a solid grasp of the IR motion with good brush contact learning the drop isn’t that difficult really. It’s a matter of turning the hand over harder. The details are a bit more complicated but in the macro view that’s about all that’s needed to know.
As far a change. Yeah, a flip will work at her here is the problem as states before. It will look different and may get picked as you get older. Why because a flip has no brush contact. IMO. Sarah was correct. You will eventually want to go with a circle change or other that will look identical to a drop or fast ball out of the hand. My dd has master disguise of the change and it’s viscous. You want slower, spin , location and desertion.
Hope this helps

Aug 2, 2019
My DD has drop spin on her FB. What is the difference between a true drop ball, and what she is doing now?

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
My DD has drop spin on her FB. What is the difference between a true drop ball, and what she is doing now?

Release angle, and amount of pronation. It's very good that your DD has drop spin on the FB!! It's what also prefer! Getting the spine more vertical at release will add a bit more "Drop" on that FB!!

-Jay

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
My 10u DD was originally shown a drop ball from a HE PC. My daughter has never practiced it at home bc the same PC also instructed her CU (a Flip Change) that Sarah Pauly told my DD to “never throw again” at a clinic. I’m actually really impressed with her Flip Change so the jury is out as to why she was told not to pitch it...it could be that she really goofed it up at that particular moment? Regardless-the Pauly’s did a quick demo of their CCCC change.

This post is not* about a CU (I’m like a squirrel !) it’s more about the fact that my DD doesn’t want to employ the drop ball she was shown if it’s not proper.

Please share all your drop ball wisdom. If you have something visual, even better!

(Quick background: she’s 9 years old & about 9m into pitching. She originally saw 2 PC’s who claimed they taught “the new style” but I found them to be about 90% HE & 10% IR. We stopped private lessons and I took the initial classes with Pauly online & home instructed. She throws a 40mph fastball & that beautiful flip change with good accuracy. We’re now 2 lessons in with a Tincher PC who’s “in training” herself. I know a drop ball is coming our way!)

I’d love to hear it from this community before hearing it from my DD’s new PC as I like to be an educated consumer! I want some insight so I can follow along with what she’ll learn! Thank you for your wisdom!!!

Also, not all Tincher PCs are the same. Far from it, just like all PCs here are a little different as well. So still continue to do your homework and look at some of the best drops around. Check out Fastpitch Foundations and The Bullpen by Doug Romrell on Facebook you'll see proper mechanics for the drop.

-Jay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28