The death of JV Softball???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Example of these 3 high schools about 20 minutes from eachother.
Kennedy- regular public V & jv teams.
Snt Joseph- V. only
Oxford academy- only varsity
*only one girl plays travel. Couple girls played rec befor.
Atleast half never played.
And how that was compiled took asking around beyond tryout week, where there were only 2 who never played and one travel girl. The travel player who is on the team is also plays basketball... went to her basketball team and asked if any of those players would like to come play softball and several of them said yes. They don't really play softball but are stepping up!

Apr 20, 2015
For this i can kind of see a school say whats the point. If you don't have the interest in your area why bother. Maybe there is another sport more popular in the area that girls like to play. High School sports would be about the student athletes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sep 26, 2011
This will be the first time in 5 years we have a JV. It’s more of a hybrid. Coach has 17 girls. 12 are playing varsity and 5 “jv”. Most the varsity girls are underclassmen and will play both. Not every program has JV so getting games is tough. Coach mentioned playing a couple jamborees but not sure if they’ll happen. And if they do not sure on how competitive it’ll be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 13, 2015
from talking to different coaches at HS level...if the freshman and sophomores don't make varsity, then they go play select ball and JV kids are ones that have never played or are very weak/inexperienced....possible reason for lack of JV....also, if no pitching is available for the JV that adds to another reason

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
In our area, Missouri plays HS in the fall. Illinois teams go dark at this time but with the covid situation where the HS season is starting later, a lot of the JV players and their teams are going to Missouri to play instead of playing HS. Typically, all programs of HS age are dark now. I have heard, and this is only a rumor, some of the bigger programs are moving on from those players next year when things might return to normal. Again, this is just a rumor. My school is fielding a JV team.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I might be the only person around who can take a routine gallbladder and turn this into a critical situation. I am on the mend now. It will take me some time. I feel bad for my players since I can't be there for them. I did go to two practices this past week but sat in a chair unable to do anything. Peaks and valleys! That is what I tell my players that life is. I was in a pretty deep valley. A very high peak is coming. Again, thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
SW Missouri here. JV is still the plan. And should be over the next few years if the MS squads are any indicator.

Edit: Need to clarify JV/Varsity is Fall here. So we (luckily) had a season last year.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Most in our area had a JV team like normal but a lot of games canceled due to Covid. JV players out or moved up because varsity players were out.

May 20, 2016
DDs school in NY has no JV anything this year. It's a bummer as there are 25-28 girls trying out for varsity that will see little to no playing time even if they make the team. Would have a reasonable JV team if they let them play. Not a lack of numbers, still a covid thing.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I almost agreed with the OP name.

We had a strong program for years then about 5 years ago something changed. Fewer and fewer girls were turning out for sports in general with the exception of basketball. We went from 3 teams of 15 to a varsity of 14 and a JV of 12. This year our numbers are
down even further though tryouts are today and tomorrow so we shall see.

But on the positive side we have 15 freshman chomping at the bit to play next season. We invited them to practice (open gym) with the HS team and that really got them interested. So it seems we just have to make it through this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog