"The Crop"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
The way she exaggerates her body is counter productive in trying to throw a rise ball. I don't recall seeing many if any at all from her. Not that she needed them but it could have helped.

May 31, 2011
We've been working on a rollover drop, and occasionally if the spin tilts off the 12 to 6 axis, more like 10:30 to 5:30, we get a nasty "crop". I wish she would do it every time. It is probably just what happened as she was learning the rollover drop.

Feb 19, 2009
Boardmember: Does your 18U team & you go the COLORADO tournaments in July?

Also, why was Elen Renfroe more successful agianst the Oklahoma hitters in game 1? What was she doing so effectively to keep those hitters off-balance? Her speed was only about 61-63? I thought she did a masterful job.

What pitchers in the WCWS did you think have the best "stuff" and why? I am watching a lot of video/replays and just trying to pick up on and hear other people's ideas. Thanks.

Feb 7, 2013
What pitchers in the WCWS did you think have the best "stuff" and why? I am watching a lot of video/replays and just trying to pick up on and hear other people's ideas. Thanks.

While the Renfroe sisters are obviously elite pitchers, I was surprised how poorly they were throwing their change ups. Ellen in particular, threw at least a half a dozen 10 - 15 feet in front of home plate and was struggling to find the release point on the c/u. Contrast that with OKs two lefties who seemed in complete control and complemented each other well in the circle.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Ricketts "crop" spin is no mystery..........And it isn't hard to throw........

wmjuoj.gif

This is my DD's arm motion on every pitch..explains the movement of her pitches. Now how to break that habit so she doesn't do it on every pitch.

Big German!

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Sure rudy. Some important things about throwing the angled drop to the outside corner.

Stay open........Glove shoulder down.......Upper Body lean toward angle direction.........

Notice these things in Ricketts........

wmjuoj.gif

And here with Cat for example........

2q03h8l.gif

One of my students practicing these exagerations to accompish the angled drop..........

jsd1fq.gif

Bm....open? They look closed? Your open? Define open.

May 10, 2016
Sure rudy. Some important things about throwing the angled drop to the outside corner.

Stay open........Glove shoulder down.......Upper Body lean toward angle direction.........

Notice these things in Ricketts........

wmjuoj.gif

And here with Cat for example........

2q03h8l.gif

One of my students practicing these exagerations to accompish the angled drop..........

jsd1fq.gif

WHat do you mean stay open? I see the shoulders are 45 degrees or so. What is opened and closed? Is it opposite of hitting?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Bump... [MENTION=551]BoardMember[/MENTION] If possible, please update the gifs in this thread.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee