The coach putting them through conditioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
I hear about this probably once or twice a year. The volunteer coach has decided to get the 11 yo girls in shape and he spends a complete practice running some sort of military boot camp. The most recent one, that has put my catching student out of the game, is some sort of a crawl. You are on the balls of your feet, but your butt the air and hands on the ground. They run suicides like that. Then, they run a mile and do all kinds of calisthenics.

This happens once a week. I contend that you cannot get someone else's daughter in shape, by exercising once a week.

Also, this type of conditioning is not even needed by 11 yo girls playing rec ball. The girls don't like it. They are sore the next day. The parents don't like it, but won't say anything.

So, my catcher is out, with a muscle strain in her lower back. She is on her way to the doctor, this morning. When she told the coach that she was hurt, he said "train harder" and laughed.

11 year old rec softball doing any kind of suicides is ridiculous. I don't have enough time with my rec ream to teach them proper throwing mechanics and this maniac has time to spend entire practices exercising?

My travel basketball team runs at most 4 suicides a practice. Now, that is in addition to a considerable amount of other running that goes on before, during, and after all of the drills. Suicides are great when used properly but they are not an all purpose conditioning exercise that can be thrown at every kid and expected to make them all lean speed demons.

Apr 28, 2014
DD's 12u TB team practiced twice a week during the off season with one of those days being conditioning. One of the coaches wife's would hold the sessions. They focused on core strengthening and basic exercises. My DD looked like she was in great shape but at the start of the workouts could only do 5 push ups. By spring she was in much better physical shape. They did an assessment at the start of off season and one at the end. All of the girls improved.
One thing that helped was the trainer gave the girls a 10 minutes per day workout for home.
Simple exercises like push up and jumping jacks. I can't prove it but DD'S hitting the ball much harder and her pitching speed has improved. That said we are not holding these workouts now. I feel bad for the poor girl who it sounds like was overworked.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
As a strength and conditioning coach that also happens to be a softball coach, i feel I need to pitch in here:

Very important principles to keep in mind:

1) If your goal is to improve fitness, less than 2 workouts a week is a waste of time. You need at least 2 workouts per week to increase strength, power, endurance. Usually, we build fitness in the off-season to be in better shape for the competitive season.

Big Mistake #1: Doing strength and conditioning 1x per week in the off-season = waste of time. Minimum should be twice per week.

2) If your goal is to maintain fitness, one workout session per week is enough. You will not get fitter but you will NOT lose results. You will maintain. During the competitive season, your main goal should be to maintain your fitness results.

Big Mistake #2: Many teams do strength and conditioning in the off-season but they stop doing it during the season. Within 4-6 weeks, you will lose a lot of your gains.

Suggestions:

1) If you can do only 1 session in the off-season, give players a home workout and explain them the importance of doing it at home to build up.
2) If you are short on time, keep your strength and conditioning sessions short - like 10-15 minutes at the end of practices or as part of an extended warm-up.
3) Try to make your workouts as softball specific as possible.

Here is a suggestion - get Softball Team Training - for a softball-specific team workout done for you. It's perfect for coaches who want to do strength and conditioning with their teams on the field and don't have a lot of time.

3) Big MISTAK

Oct 27, 2015
For this rec team, the season ends in about 2 weeks.

For a rec team this is ridiculous. Have you talked to the coach about your concerns? I know I would appreciate hearing the effect my coaching is having on my team. If done the right way it could make him a better coach and give your DD a better ball experience. If nothing positive comes from this go up the ladder or find a new league.

I'm sorry for the poor experience your daughter is having. These can be good life lessons as in life you will not always have a good boss/supervisor and she can learn how to address or deal with problems.

All the best to both of you. Let me know how it turns out.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For a rec team this is ridiculous. Have you talked to the coach about your concerns? I know I would appreciate hearing the effect my coaching is having on my team. If done the right way it could make him a better coach and give your DD a better ball experience. If nothing positive comes from this go up the ladder or find a new league.

I'm sorry for the poor experience your daughter is having. These can be good life lessons as in life you will not always have a good boss/supervisor and she can learn how to address or deal with problems.

All the best to both of you. Let me know how it turns out.

FYI...The player in the OP isn't Amy's DD, it's one of her students.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A little conditioning may be good for them, but they are there to play softball, not run track, so the coach needs to make wise use of their practice time. As players get older and play higher level TB a lot of hard work is expected outside of regular practices, including conditioning. If a player shows up out of shape and unable to keep up there is a good chance she will be riding the pine and shagging foul balls instead of fielding fair balls - $1 to Riseball.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12