The Catcher or the Pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
EC, overall I do not agree with your initial assessment. Good hitters are disciplined to not swing at balls hitting the dirt. Yes, you can get away with it and sometimes get someone who's over anxious to swing. But that's the exception, not the rule. Hitting the dirt with it 4-5 times as you suggested will often lead to teams knowing this and being vigilant to it during the at bat.

Bill

Wouldnt this discussion have a larger scale on perspective do to different talent levels?
Think it does.
Because of different levels of talent and development.
Pitchers have different strengths.
Still need to use all tools in tool box.

Even tho may not be perfect can still be effective.
Rather have a drop that atleast breaks down.
Than a sloppy flat rise not doing anything.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Wouldnt this discussion have a larger scale on perspective do to different talent levels?
Think it does.

Not necessarily. The bottom line is, throwing a ball that hits the ground is not always a drop. I've seen pitchers bounce, what should be, riseballs because of bad release, the ball slipped, bad footing, etc.

Sep 9, 2019
Not necessarily. The bottom line is, throwing a ball that hits the ground is not always a drop. I've seen pitchers bounce, what should be, riseballs because of bad release, the ball slipped, bad footing, etc.
We agree more than is apparent in this discussion. I was not so obvious in stating that sum total of change ups, drops, drop curves may exceed 4 or 5 per game if mixing and setting up batters effectively. I've always favored a low, ground ball centric approach to batters, the pitcher's and catcher's strengths considered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802