The Catcher or the Pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
41542d4280aaeca9b99030d22bc98535.jpg

HS got this pic as DD is about to drop. Blocking, receiving, etc. - got good training 1st year 14U and it made all the difference.

It just occurred to me that while she was growing I was looking at proper fit of her leg guards. Fortunately she topped out at 5’4”. Players that hesitate to drop may not have the proper size equipment (or using old guards since they are just starting out that may not have the cushion).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don't think this thread is about framing close pitches. I think it's more about balls in the dirt and the ability of a catcher to keep the ball in front of them and blocking the ball. Unless the OP is saying the catcher is whiffing on a catchable ball. If that's the case then the problem should be obvious. Also a catcher should be able to keep a ball in the dirt in front of them, especially if its hitting the umpire. I'll make a wild guess and say the catcher is trying to pick the ball out of the dirt with their glove instead of getting in front of it.

This could be part of the problem.
Trying to block everything doesnt always control the ball.
In fact it deflects the ball much of the time.
At times even creating a worse situation with awkward bounces that never needed to happen.

Examples:
Ball hitting shin guards. Because glove is in between legs and knees/shin guards are out front.
Catchers who collapse backward and are attacked by the spin.
Leaning to sides.
Collapsing at an angle.
Glove always going in between legs but ball doesnt go there.

Catcher simply becomes
an odd shaped backstop with mutiple deflection angles.

Glad there are
different mechanics
for people to
think thru!!!

Apr 28, 2019
At times even creating a worse situation with awkward bounces that never needed to happen.

Examples:
Ball hitting shin guards. Because glove is in between legs and knees/shin guards are out front.
Leaning to sides.
Collapsing at an angle.

Catcher simply becomes

Glad there are
different mechanics
for people to
think thru!!!
Perfect

Examples:
Leaning to sides.
Collapsing at an angle.

Catcher simply becomes

Glad there are
different mechanics
for people to
think thru!!!
example

Examples:
Leaning to sides.
Collapsing at an angle.

Catcher simply becomes

Glad there are
different mechanics
for people to
think thru!!!
Perfect example of what not to do is Gary Sanchez. Often lazy and tries to just use his glove instead of getting in front of the ball.
When he does attempt to block the ball usually late it tends to bounce away from him. His saving grace is a strong arm to erase his mistakes and occasionally when he makes contact the ball goes a loooong way.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Body posture and
how/where glove is make
a HUGE difference!!
In any defense, especially receiving dirt pitches,
to include transitioning into throws!

Overhand baseball pitches in the dirt tend to chip up
= higher bounce.

Fastpitch not so much.
Drops out front of plate can.
Most dirt pitches stay lower.
Even skim along the dirt...
spinning. Fastpitch spin usually
moving away from catcher
makes a big difference.

Seperate note.
To the balls and strikes conversation/framing.
IMO-All umpires are different!
Eventhough there supposed to be using the same strike zone...
Their personal strike zone tends to well... be an opinion, move, change, morph. ;) Right?!
Just sayin'......:)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
It's pretty easy for a catcher with poor receiving skills to make good pitches look bad. Good receiving keeps strikes looking like strikes. If the catcher's mitt and arm are getting moved a lot by the impact of the ball, they are probably not doing a great job.

One of the first things I work on with new catchers is learning how to stick the location of the pitch - catch and freeze, no movement. It takes practice, it takes strength, and it takes good body position. Don't try to move the mitt into the strike zone after you catch it. Just stick it where it is.

Here's some video of my DD when she was 12. The first part (0:10 - 0:25) gives a good look at her receiving...

Tag at home 56 seconds in, I can hear the yelling from the opposing team's parents in my head without even being there lol.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Tag at home 56 seconds in, I can hear the yelling from the opposing team's parents in my head without even being there lol.

If I recall, there was some squawking about "obstruction", but blue called it a good play (it was). Unfortunately, the runner's head bounced pretty hard and she was slow to get up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom