The catapult loading system

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Earlier in this thread....
Thanks for the reply Five...to a post I made more in jest and fun, with a copy and paste of one of your questioning posts, and inserting your "new" term into it. Never intended (or expected) for you to use up so much time, energy, and bandwidth replying to it, but think you did a pretty good job nonetheless in explaining your position wrt the "torso engine" stuff. Thank you.

But it also me a little more curious as to your understanding, interpretation, definition of the "torso". IOWs, when reading your posts am I supposed to include the "hips" as part of the "torso" or understand the "hips" and "torso" to be two separate body parts if you will? If two separate ones, can you please define both for me as to where one ends, and the other starts. Or maybe it might just be easier to simply ask what body part(s) make up the "torso" exclusively, so I'll have a better mental picture in my head when reading your posts when you use the word.

Because right now I'm reading/understanding/interpreting them to mean they're two separate units or body parts, when in long accepted anatomical definitions they are one, where the "hips" (pelvic girdle) are part of the "torso"...as are the shoulders for that matter (ie. separating the shoulders from the hips are all within the "torso" itself IOWs).

But thanks again for the effort, and explanation...nicely done.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I include the hips as part of the torso.

For the most part I go with Jim Dixon Sr's usage ...

Jim Dixon Sr: Take off the shoulders and the arms, the neck, head, and the legs from the crotch down and call what's left the Torso. The Torso includes the back, sides, stomach, buttocks, chest, and upper thighs.

May 3, 2014
The trap is thinking of the hips as part of the upper or lower body. The hips are where the leg and pelvis meet.

Apr 11, 2015
I include the hips as part of the torso.

For the most part I go with Jim Dixon Sr's usage ...

Jim Dixon Sr: Take off the shoulders and the arms, the neck, head, and the legs from the crotch down and call what's left the Torso. The Torso includes the back, sides, stomach, buttocks, chest, and upper thighs.
Yeah, not sure where Dixon Sr. got his info, but it's really much easier than that. Simply remove the arms, legs, neck, and head...what's left is the torso.

I cant say for sure, but it sounds as if Dixon simply looked at an anatomical model or medical drawing where part of the proximal arms and legs, and even the neck and head...
6300067_rd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

...which is theoretically incorrect, but easier on the eye to look at.

The trap is thinking of the hips as part of the upper or lower body. The hips are where the leg and pelvis meet.
Yes, the trap that many fall into is when they simply look at pics, and not scrutinize the definition of "torso" completely.

If we wanted to get real technical...half of the "hip" is part of the "torso" (acetabulum - "bottom of the top"), and the other half is part of the leg (femoral head - "top of the bottom"). Just saying... :)

Aug 20, 2018
So I'm interested. I've watched the videos Joey has on his site and read almost everything there, its pretty solid stuff. I did order the book last night but I'm wonder if (based on earlier comments about the videos) if I should buy a set. Right now the team doesn't have the money to purchase all the courses right now so I'm just wondering if the Catapult Loading System course is worth buying on its own?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28