The catapult loading system

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Zackly...and whether one thinks it's right or wrong, the "torso" is used by some to mean the same thing as "Abs/Obliques" generally speaking. So to put it another way...

Question: "Can you explain how the torso resists in an easy to understand manner?"
Answer: "Muscles. Abs/Obliques (IOWs, the "torso").

So it's not some magical pulling back with the back or doing "something" with the back?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
So it not some magical pulling back with the back or doing "something" with the back?
Do you believe the torso to be just the front/anterior side of the body only?
tor·so
/ˈtôrsō/
noun
the trunk of the human body.
the trunk of a statue without, or considered independently of, the head and limbs.
But to answer your question more directly...

No, the "pulling back" of the scap on the back (which I'm assuming you're referencing, please correct me if I'm wrong), does not "separate" the two halves, or prevent/resist the shoulder(s) from turning forward at the same time as the hips.

IOWs, I can turn both my shoulders and hips forward simultaneously, all the while pulling my scap back that's attached to the now forward moving shoulder complex.

The muscles of/on the back are designed more for the anterior and posterior bending (flexion/extension) of the torso over the pelvic girdle, and play just a minor support role in the rotational movement of the torso over the pelvic girdle (which is the "resistance" we speak of wrt the shoulders staying back while the hips turn forward).

May 3, 2014
To be clear - the scap pull back is to prevent the arms from pushing and not to create resistance against the rear leg. Although, I think it can be an additive.

To answer the torso Q - I have been using this cue with hitters:

Imagine your torso (the area just above your hip joint to your arm pits) as one block within a barrel. The barrel is part of your body. Now imagine turning the "barrel" (no puns intended) diagonally around your rear leg towards the catcher. It should feel somewhat like a "sleeve" turning around your torso. So, it's not so much the scap being pulled back around the rear leg as it the muscles of the torso as has been mentioned. Although I feel more as my outer layer turning back.

The caveat to all of this sleeve/torso/barrel/skin talk is that it never turns back forward. The resistance never releases.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
To be clear - the scap pull back is to prevent the arms from pushing and not to create resistance against the rear leg. Although, I think it can be an additive.

To answer the torso Q - I have been using this cue with hitters:

Imagine your torso (the area just above your hip joint to your arm pits) as one block within a barrel. The barrel is part of your body. Now imagine turning the "barrel" (no puns intended) diagonally around your rear leg towards the catcher. It should feel somewhat like a "sleeve" turning around your torso. So, it's not so much the scap being pulled back around the rear leg as it the muscles of the torso as has been mentioned. Although I feel more as my outer layer turning back.

The caveat to all of this sleeve/torso/barrel/skin talk is that it never turns back forward. The resistance never releases.

Thanks, that was easy to understand.:cool:

Apr 11, 2015
Use the torso correctly and then you can use leveraged hands.
Can I get you to describe how to "use the torso correctly", and how "then you can use leveraged hands"? Perhaps outline the body segments of how to use the torso correctly, and then what is actually leveraged in the hands or what the hands leverage against. :)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Can I get you to describe how to "use the torso correctly", and how "then you can use leveraged hands"? Perhaps outline the body segments of how to use the torso correctly, and then what is actually leveraged in the hands or what the hands leverage against. :)

I second that, can it be said in a easy to understand manner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12