That Mom?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2018
I don't want to be "that mom" but I'm afraid I might have to be and am looking for courage/tips.

So far (second year 14U) I have not seen anyone recording games other than getting up with their phone during their DD's at bat. It doesn't seem to be something people do around here (southern NY/CT). I want to get good video and purchased a set up but don't want to be "that mom". Any tips for getting the other parents/coach behind the idea so we're in it together before I start putting up my lynkspider and get looks?

Nov 26, 2020
I never video my kid during a game but then a parent started live streaming our games to facebook so parents and family that aren't there can watch the game. Now after the games I can go back and watch my daughters at bats and save clips, which I think is great. My point being is maybe offer to stream the games for the team which can provide a lot of value.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
It doesn't seem to be something people do around here (southern NY/CT).

Seeing it more and more in this area - at the end of the fall and now the first few weekends of spring, seeing many more teams set up (I think Covid and some indoor field spectator restrictions may have been the spur for investment, and now they're using it outside).

Sep 19, 2018
My mother can't make it to games anymore. so now, she sits at the kitchen table and 'watches' game changer on her phone. She would be over the moon if you were on my team.

We are in the same neck of the woods. My dd is 12u though. I've been contemplating being that dad!

May 20, 2019
i became that Dad this year with a camera setup and wifi hard drive i carry to the field with me so parents can download/view the games at the field if they wish ;-) Have not went down the livestreaming path yet though.

Jun 11, 2012
I’m honestly surprised you haven’t seen anyone doing this yet. DD is a college junior now but there were parents with video equipment back when she was 12u. I have a bunch of games on DVD from back then.
with the streaming capabilities now I’m surprised why all teams don’t do it

May 6, 2015
actually about to get back into swing of videoing softball. DD is mainly a C, so I will be taking video of all defensive innings behind lates, and the entire teams offensive innings. I intend to start/stop at every change, as well as before and after DDs PAs (makes it easier to cut out). I intend to offer to entire team to put on a shared drive all the footage, and will record defenive half innings DD is not catcthing if HC asks (doubt it).

hope I am not thought of as that Dad, but if i am, oh well.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I've been "that video dad" for years, even when I was the only one doing it. These days, pretty much every game has multiple people putting their cameras up, including people on the same team. I think the most cameras I've seen on one backstop is 8...maybe more.

One thing that has been consistent since I started livestreaming is the thanks I get from parents who are able to watch their DD play when they can't be there. My online audience often includes grandparents in other parts of the country, as well.

Forget about how other people will think of you. Do it for your own damn reasons...but I'm betting you will get a lot of positive reactions, and people asking how they can get copies of the video for themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802