That Mom?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Great for your team's fans. Terrible for the other team's fans (usually).

At a recent game, we had a mom of the other team doing continuous commentary to her team's livestream camera, which was mounted right next to mine. Unfortunately, her commentary spoiled some good highlight clips for a couple of our players.
You know you can make the clips without sound on most programs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You know you can make the clips without sound on most programs.

Yes, but losing the sounds of the game to someone squawking their opposing commentary spoils things (IMO, YMMV).

Sometimes it isn't just the highlight clips, but people watching the livestream feed for one team can be really put off by a constant commentary that is strongly partisan for the opposing team.

Apr 20, 2015
The point of making a clip is to show the skills of the player to whomever the clip is going to....the sounds of the game don't mean anything to a coach. Otherwise it's just so mommy or daddy can brag on Facebook. I don't know what your set up is but with my set up I can switch the microphone from my camera to my phone so that in this instance I can pick up a different set of ambient noise or use headphones to call a game without interfering with someone else's feed.

Apr 6, 2017
I think it’s great when a parent shares this. I had one dad block my view with his camera set up. I was cool and told him no problem and thanked him for sharing with team etc.. He shared two times and stopped. Uhh ok .

Feb 7, 2016
I do play by play and try to keep it as neutral as possible. I'll admit, there is a slight lean towards our team, but when the opposing team makes a great play or a hit, they get pretty much the same reaction/commentary. If it's a showcase, I'll ask the opposing team for one of their player sheets so I can announce their #, full name, grad year, etc. as they step up to the plate. When I first started I had some funny/witty things I used to say to fill time, but I got away from that and just call the game...Player names, info, balls, strikes, outs, innings, score. Most people seem to enjoy it to the point that they're disappointed when I'm not calling the game.

Oct 4, 2018
I do play by play and try to keep it as neutral as possible. I'll admit, there is a slight lean towards our team, but when the opposing team makes a great play or a hit, they get pretty much the same reaction/commentary. If it's a showcase, I'll ask the opposing team for one of their player sheets so I can announce their #, full name, grad year, etc. as they step up to the plate. When I first started I had some funny/witty things I used to say to fill time, but I got away from that and just call the game...Player names, info, balls, strikes, outs, innings, score. Most people seem to enjoy it to the point that they're disappointed when I'm not calling the game.

Oh, I'm biased as hell.

"Next at bat, for your East Cobb Bullets... she's #1 on her jersey and #1 in our hearts, it's..." :p

But yes, I commend good plays and hits by the opposition, for sure. But you can certainly tell who I'm rooting for. And do believe me when I say it's very quiet. Umpires come up sometimes after the game or towards the end and mention they didn't hear me at all. And some games I'm just out of energy and don't do much. But like Canonq above, I do have many people mention that they're bummed when they log in and it's not me doing the commentary. <-- I have two girls and do it for both, and bounce around between games. Other parents fill in when I'm not there.

I'm sure I'll mellow out too. It's still novel to me, but when the novelty wears off and it feels like a job, I may hand it off or simply talk less.

Jul 14, 2018
Covid gave me a reason to start recording and live streaming games — no fans allowed inside first and third, grandparents wanting to stay home, etc. But now that things are getting back to normal, I certainly plan to continue. Everyone on the team is happy to have game footage to share on social media, and DD’s pitching coach likes to see her in game action.

Further, at second year 14U, girls should be thinking about recruiting and it’s never too early to get material for a highlight reel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee