That Mom?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I don't want to be "that mom" but I'm afraid I might have to be and am looking for courage/tips.

So far (second year 14U) I have not seen anyone recording games other than getting up with their phone during their DD's at bat. It doesn't seem to be something people do around here (southern NY/CT). I want to get good video and purchased a set up but don't want to be "that mom". Any tips for getting the other parents/coach behind the idea so we're in it together before I start putting up my lynkspider and get looks?

Get a team facebook page (10 minutes tops)

Tell them you're live streaming games for grandparents (2 minute email)

Set up LynkSpyder (20 minutes -- takes me forever to get the thing up)

Live stream games

Done.

Oct 4, 2018
I've been "that video dad" for years, even when I was the only one doing it. These days, pretty much every game has multiple people putting their cameras up, including people on the same team. I think the most cameras I've seen on one backstop is 8...maybe more.

One thing that has been consistent since I started livestreaming is the thanks I get from parents who are able to watch their DD play when they can't be there. My online audience often includes grandparents in other parts of the country, as well.

Forget about how other people will think of you. Do it for your own damn reasons...but I'm betting you will get a lot of positive reactions, and people asking how they can get copies of the video for themselves.

Right?

Some games have 5 cameras. I have no idea where the other three teams are on the field.

Oct 4, 2018
As mentioned above:

1. Parents thank me every time they see me. I'm the team hero for doing this.
2. People on the feed thank me almost every game. I'm the team hero for doing this.
3. Clips from my livestream start hitting facebook Sunday morning as parents clip and post their DDs.
4. I had an umpire last weekend ask me to write down the facebook page so he could review his officiating.

Do it. And want to get even more praise? Stand by the camera and whisper the score and how many outs every once in a while. You can even do things like:

"Hey Ellie's grandma, I see you. Ellie is up third next inning so time your bathroom breaks accordingly."

"Hey Sally's grandpa, you see that RBI single she got last inning. You're grand daughter is awesome!!!"

I actually do an entire play-by-play and color commentary. I have a blast with it. I even do advertisements between innings.

Jun 7, 2020
My dds team records every game. We are 12u. Been recording since 10u. The coaches get together the following Monday evening and watch how we did. Most of our videos are on YouTube. This is for both basketball and softball. This way people can go back and watch the game if they weren't able to be there.

Aug 8, 2016
I am on my 6th season with my lynkspyder and gopro. I have recorded nearly every game since the start of 10u.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I actually do an entire play-by-play and color commentary. I have a blast with it. I even do advertisements between innings.

Great for your team's fans. Terrible for the other team's fans (usually).

At a recent game, we had a mom of the other team doing continuous commentary to her team's livestream camera, which was mounted right next to mine. Unfortunately, her commentary spoiled some good highlight clips for a couple of our players.

Jun 8, 2016
Everybody and their mother (pun intended) does live-streaming now. Makes it almost impossible to try and ignore a game if you don’t sufficient willpower...

Oct 4, 2018
Great for your team's fans. Terrible for the other team's fans (usually).

At a recent game, we had a mom of the other team doing continuous commentary to her team's livestream camera, which was mounted right next to mine. Unfortunately, her commentary spoiled some good highlight clips for a couple of our players.

Fine point.

If there's a camera nearby, I only do scores at the end of the half inning and announce line-up changes.

Often the cameras are a good 20 feet apart, and I really do whisper right into the phone. Most people don't mount the camera behind the catcher so there's some significant distance between set-ups as we all stay on our team's side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee