Thankful Today

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
DD is able to do the sideline cheer team, but is not on the competition team. Prior to surgery she was in tumbling and had been for several years. She was able to do roundoffs into a back tuck, or roundoff into a twist, standing back tucks, etc. All that was immediately taken away, and was the hardest thing for her. That is the one thing that she is still not cleared to do is any kind of tumbling.

And Olathedad nailed that one...cheer is one of the most dangerous sports, resulting in a lot on injuries every year. DD was a smaller girl and would have been one of the flyers. That would have def made me a nervous wreck.

Mine is headed to college next year and is being recruited to be a flyer in college. We got a taste of it during one of her camps. No height restrictions on lifts and verticals. Hard to watch.

If your DD loves to cheer have her keep at it. There is always a need for bases and spotters in any routine. If she has the spirit and energy a high school coach will find a way to use her on the squad.

One thing not mentioned is how can a cheer uniform with half the fabric cost 3 time that of a softball uniform? Our high school softball coaches daughter made the cheer team this year. I talked to him after he found out the cost and the look on his face was Priceless. Guess softball team fees are going up this year!

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Interesting. One time when I had a flight that was delayed about 5 hours, I was seated by a small group of young ladies who were all cheerleaders. (They didn't know each other before that evening, sort of "hey, you were a cheerleader, too!" type of thing).

One of the girls was a cheerleader and a softball player at the same time, so I know it can be done.

A **HUGE** word of caution -- in many places, cheerleaders do some rather dangerous stunts. Not like when I was in HS, when the cheerleaders were popular girls who could dance around and manage an occasional pyramid. Some of the cheerleaders had to quit because if multiple concussions, although in one case it was a concussion that came from pitching without a mask. Be careful out there.

And as far as the stereotypes about cheerleaders -- the head cheerleader from my senior year of HS, also the homecoming queen, is now a research professor at Harvard Medical School.

Hi, Bob. I found that interesting about sitting in an airport and hearing 5 girls that just met up talking about being cheerleaders.

I do realize that cheer leading is a dangerous sport. I got a small taste of it yesterday when I got tossed in the air for a basket catch. I was told it was trust building. I got a little scared being tossed 10 feet in the air. But, as a catcher and now a flyer, we have a little bit of crazy in us.

But I will try to be careful. I heard about concussions and blew out knees from school.

Oct 2, 2019
So, as I have mentioned before on here, DD has scoliosis. First diagnosed at 12 yoa. Spinal fusion surgery at 14. Well, today was three year post-op X-rays and visit to the surgeon. Everything looked good, and all hardware holding tight and doing its job. No more visits required for two years!!!!!!

Oh, and so this is about softball...surgeon says DD is still cleared to continue playing softball and doing cheerleading.;):D
Would you be willing to talk to me about your experience? My daughter had T2-L3 fused earlier this year. If so, please PM and I’ll send you my info.

Oct 4, 2018
Nice. My big sister had it and went on to swim competitively in college.

Glad to see your family is overcoming the challenge and living an active, fun life.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Cleared for cheer? Cheer isn't hard on the body like softball is. [/sarcasm]

I'm very happy to hear your DD is able to get back to being fully active. That's awesome! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2