Thank you for all the great ideas!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
I just wanted to thank everyone who posts here with great ideas about coaching. I've still got a long ways to go, but we had a great practice tonight with our 10u rec ball team. I don't remember where I read it, but someone had posted a game/drill we have named "last girl standing". Everybody lays their glove and mask near the 3rd base dugout and then gets in line to bat. You start with two strikes so you only get one good pitch and balls don't count. If you hit it and no one fields it cleanly your safe and you get back in line. If you strike out you grab your glove and mask and get in the field anywhere you want. Once your in the field if you make a clean catch and a good throw to 1st (there doesn't have to be a player there to catch it or you can have a coach there) then the girl at bat is out and the girl who fielded the ball is back in. You keep going until there is one girl left. The one girl left has to hit the ball to win though.. If she gets a single she wins, if she strikes out then nobody wins and everybody gets back in line to bat. By the end your down to 10 girls scattered around the infield and one girl hitting so getting a single is tough, unless you get lucky and someone bobbles it. We ended up playing it 6 times in about 30 minutes. I rewarded the winner of each round with a Jolly Rancher. I've never seen the girls hit that hard and work so hard fielding. This is 10u rec ball and we had multiple diving catches, sprinting catches on the run, etc. One of the kind of quiet left hand girls drilled three deep balls to right field with one of them rolling all the way to the fence. I have no idea where that came from, but it was impressive. Even the parents got in on the action yelling and cheering at every hit and catch like it was game 7 of the world series. It was 42 degrees out and I had to kick the girls off the field at the end of practice. They were begging to play it again and again. It is impressive how hard 10u girls will work a Jolly Rancher! Now I have to do some more searching and find some more great drills/games. I think next practice I'll add in the pitching machine. I'll do a couple of rounds of coach pitch and then move onto the pitching machine so they see some faster balls to swing at.

May 1, 2018
We end a lot of practices (right before abs exercises) with last girl standing. Our girls (12u) have to get the ball out of the infield. Lots of fun. I will jump in every now and again too, (make sure I go first so I don't kill a girl by accident) and try and rob as many girls as possible.

Jun 8, 2016
It is impressive how hard 10u girls will work a Jolly Rancher!
"Available evidence in humans shows that sugar and sweetness can induce reward and craving that are comparable in magnitude to those induced by addictive drugs. Although this evidence is limited by the inherent difficulty of comparing different types of rewards and psychological experiences in humans, it is nevertheless supported by recent experimental research on sugar and sweet reward in laboratory rats. Overall, this research has revealed that sugar and sweet reward can not only substitute to addictive drugs, like cocaine, but can even be more rewarding and attractive. At the neurobiological level, the neural substrates of sugar and sweet reward appear to be more robust than those of cocaine (i.e., more resistant to functional failures), possibly reflecting past selective evolutionary pressures for seeking and taking foods high in sugar and calories."

:LOL:

May 1, 2018
"Available evidence in humans shows that sugar and sweetness can induce reward and craving that are comparable in magnitude to those induced by addictive drugs. Although this evidence is limited by the inherent difficulty of comparing different types of rewards and psychological experiences in humans, it is nevertheless supported by recent experimental research on sugar and sweet reward in laboratory rats. Overall, this research has revealed that sugar and sweet reward can not only substitute to addictive drugs, like cocaine, but can even be more rewarding and attractive. At the neurobiological level, the neural substrates of sugar and sweet reward appear to be more robust than those of cocaine (i.e., more resistant to functional failures), possibly reflecting past selective evolutionary pressures for seeking and taking foods high in sugar and calories."

:LOL:
Who is giving kids Cocaine and candy to measure lol

Jan 13, 2020
I just wanted to thank everyone who posts here with great ideas about coaching. I've still got a long ways to go, but we had a great practice tonight with our 10u rec ball team. I don't remember where I read it, but someone had posted a game/drill we have named "last girl standing". Everybody lays their glove and mask near the 3rd base dugout and then gets in line to bat. You start with two strikes so you only get one good pitch and balls don't count. If you hit it and no one fields it cleanly your safe and you get back in line. If you strike out you grab your glove and mask and get in the field anywhere you want. Once your in the field if you make a clean catch and a good throw to 1st (there doesn't have to be a player there to catch it or you can have a coach there) then the girl at bat is out and the girl who fielded the ball is back in. You keep going until there is one girl left. The one girl left has to hit the ball to win though.. If she gets a single she wins, if she strikes out then nobody wins and everybody gets back in line to bat. By the end your down to 10 girls scattered around the infield and one girl hitting so getting a single is tough, unless you get lucky and someone bobbles it. We ended up playing it 6 times in about 30 minutes. I rewarded the winner of each round with a Jolly Rancher. I've never seen the girls hit that hard and work so hard fielding. This is 10u rec ball and we had multiple diving catches, sprinting catches on the run, etc. One of the kind of quiet left hand girls drilled three deep balls to right field with one of them rolling all the way to the fence. I have no idea where that came from, but it was impressive. Even the parents got in on the action yelling and cheering at every hit and catch like it was game 7 of the world series. It was 42 degrees out and I had to kick the girls off the field at the end of practice. They were begging to play it again and again. It is impressive how hard 10u girls will work a Jolly Rancher! Now I have to do some more searching and find some more great drills/games. I think next practice I'll add in the pitching machine. I'll do a couple of rounds of coach pitch and then move onto the pitching machine so they see some faster balls to swing at.
Do the girls run to first base?

Apr 30, 2018
Do the girls run to first base?
We haven't been, but we are a young 10u team so I haven't been pushing it them. I just want a clean catch and a good throw without rushing them yet. As the girls progress you can have the batter run through 1st before getting back in line to push the fielders to be quicker. Would need to put a coach or parent at 1st to catch the throws so you don't hit a runner. As the girls progress I plan on ramping it up by using a pitching machine instead of me lobbing it in. I want to make sure the game stays lively with lots of hits right now to challenge the girls to field and throw. If I go to the pitching machine to early then we just end up with a bunch of strike outs.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk