Texas Women's University - questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Does anyone have any personal information about this school, the softball program and the town it's in (Denton, TX)?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Denton is located about 60 minutes from Dallas and Fort Worth. It has a population of 120,000. Denton has two universities: TWU and North Texas. Because of the two colleges, there are about 50,000 students in Denton. With that many kids, Denton, of course, has an "active" college night life. Denton has a very big music scene. With that proximity to a major metropolitan area, you can anticipate that your DD will go to Dallas or Fort Worth many times over her college career.

In other words, DD will have the same temptations at TWU as she would at any major university near a large city. Don't send her to TWU if you want to protect her from the real world. If she has a good head on her shoulders, she'll be fine.

TWU was set up when women generally couldn't go to the major Texas schools. It has a very rich tradition as to women's education and sports. However, it does not have a large selection of majors. But, if the school does offer the major she is interested in, it will be well done. TWU has a good alumni network.

As to sofball, they are a competitive D2 school. They are probably in the top 1/4 of the D2 schools. If they get the right players, they could become a contender for a championship.

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Thank you Sluggers, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

DD has a good head on her shoulders. We think we raised her well and don't think she needs to be protected from the big bad world.

She has a couple of offers but this one interests her most at the softball level because she wants to play competitively and still have a chance to make an impact as a Freshman.

Head Coach called yesterday and wants her to visit before next Wednesday. If she likes what she sees and DW and I like the offer, he is expecting her to sign the NLI before the end of the visit.

...and the FUN begins!!!

Wish us luck :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, the most important things for someone who wants to play in college is to find somewhere to *PLAY*, not watch the game.

My DD#3 was a good basketball player, and U of Illinois wanted her to red shirt. Honestly, I doubt that she could have played much at that level for three years, perhaps never. Instead, she went to a D3 school, contributed as a freshman, and was very important to the team for the next three years. She got to play as much as one could expect. (She obviously wanted to play every minute of every game, but that was not going to happen.)

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Absolutely right about finding somewhere to PLAY!

At first DD was chasing the DI "dream" until she realized that she didn't want to possibly sit on the bench for 2 (or more) years. Since then she has focused on DII, DIII and JC's.

We are leaving tonight for Texas. Talk about a whirlwind, leave tonight for Texas, return home Friday morning just in time to drive to Huntington Beach for her last tournament for the fall.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Coach-n-Dad, I live about 20-30 minutes from Denton and am familiar with TWU. The surrounding area is nice, although it is definitely a college scene area as Sluggers mentioned.

TWU is in the LSC (Lone Star Conference) which is NCAA Div II. Here is the link to the conference info: Lone Star Conference They are a competitive team, and the facilities are above average for softball here in this area. Some of the high school elevated playoff games are played at TWU. The LSC has alot of competition that have some pretty strong softball programs. I.E., Tarleton, West Texas A&M and Angelo State. ACU (Abilene Christian University) is also a strong team.

TWU puts on good clinics. My daughter, who plays collegiate softball, is a Sophomore at an NAIA in Pittsburgh, went to one a few years ago. I was impressed with their orderly fashion and the quality. It was one of the better ones.

Denton is located in a spot where major cities are close by. Dallas (downtown) is about an hour south. Oklahoma City is a straight shot about 2 hours north on I-35. Dallas suburbs nearly extend all the way to Denton anyway, so it's really one giant suburban area imho.

Being one of the better teams, I'm not sure about the time of play Freshman get there. I could certainly ask around as I have several contacts here in the area and could gethelpful info.

I do know my DD chose her school athletically for that very reason. Last year she played a healthy amount and was able to contribute as a Freshman. No need to get hung up in designations (DI, DII, etc) when the fact is that after college, softball is mostly over unless you are an Olympian or go on to play in the barely existing professional league. So, if she believes based on the quality of the team here she could contribute as a Freshman, I'm sure she would prefer that versus riding the pine for a year or two.

Academically, TWU rates well. Here is a link to their bragging page. TWU Brags - TWU Marketing & Communication - Texas Woman's University

Let me know if you would like any more info, I'd be happy to help a fellow forum member.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
TWU is also the school affiliated with the NFCA's Coaches College. If you do all the NFCC classes, and some other coursework, you can get a Master's in Kinesiology from them. So definitely a softball-friendly school.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog