Texas Tech Softball $10,000 NIL Deal for softball players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
It seems like you answered your own question.

I also don't look at college as vocational training, so there is that. Lots of reasons to continue your education and a job, in the end, is just one of them.
I don't disagree with you, but I will say many degrees are useless to the job many people wind up doing. And I see way too many kids graduate with useless degrees only to return for a more meaningful one that will actually get them a career.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don't disagree with you, but I will say many degrees are useless to the job many people wind up doing. And I see way too many kids graduate with useless degrees only to return for a more meaningful one that will actually get them a career.
My perspective on that is that people get a degree and then choose not to work in the same field as it.
( but there are multiple degrees that kind of are generally titled degree like business or liberal arts that kind of blanket a lot of different jobs)

Are degree's useless when they are not working in the same field as it? I think there is still some use for it. I doubt they are keeping that off their resume when applying for a job. Regardless of the field. Accomplishing College in my opinion has a value of its own not just the degree title.

Possibly also when somebody picks a degree they really don't have an idea of what it's going to be like in the real world and people figure out who they really are as they are older after college. So that can change directions.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My perspective on that is that people get a degree and then choose not to work in the same field as it.
( but there are multiple degrees that kind of are generally titled a degree like business or liberal arts that kind of blanket a lot of different jobs)

Is that degree useless? I doubt they are keeping that off their resume when applying for a job. Regardless of the field. Accomplishing College in my opinion has a value of its own not just the degree title.

Possibly also when somebody picks a degree they really don't have an idea of what it's going to be like in the real world and people figure out who they really are as they are older after college. So that can change directions.
No disagreement here. I went to college for a history degree because I thought I wanted to be a history teacher. After taking some teaching classes, I realized it wasn't for me, but I was so far into the degree at that point that I just kept going. Does it apply to my career now? Not in any way, shape, or form. But here's the big point: I went to school for very little money because I went to a local state school and commuted. I think I spent around $5,000 on my degree 25 years ago. Can you imagine going to a $75K school to find yourself? That's a very expensive proposition.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
No disagreement here. I went to college for a history degree because I thought I wanted to be a history teacher. After taking some teaching classes, I realized it wasn't for me, but I was so far into the degree at that point that I just kept going. Does it apply to my career now? Not in any way, shape, or form.
But here's the big point: I went to school for very little money because I went to a local state school and commuted. I think I spent around $5,000 on my degree 25 years ago. Can you imagine going to a $75K school to find yourself? That's a very expensive proposition.
Understand what you're saying as far as money and people finding out who they are. That could also be explained in someone buying a convertible and then finding out later they hate wind in their hair. Or buying a full size truck and then realizing it's difficult to park. 🤣
Relevance of money , think dollar for dollar then and now would need to be compared.

Maybe by trying something you thought you wanted to do, is how you found out that wasn't for you and you were to do something else 🤷‍♀️ how much is that worth?

I went to college to play softball.
Imagine That! 🙂
No degree in that, however I have made a career of it! 🥳

College is a choice. Like any other big financial decision should be well thought through.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Those outside source scholarships can cost you money from the school. Here's the dirty little secret they don't tell. If the scholarship is from a source other than the school, and it's made payable to the school, most colleges reduce any other aid you receive by a similar amount.

I can only speak for the one university both my kids attend, but their school scholarship funding isn't all contingent on whether they receive outside money. In fact, the school has dropped a couple of pretty large money bombs on the older one despite her being, from my perspective, fully funded. It's a good question to ask, but I don't believe that a school could do such a thing on a whim. If it's allowed, it's somewhere it that fine print, and it only affects what the school itself provides and perhaps some government funded financial aid.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I can only speak for the one university both my kids attend, but their school scholarship funding isn't all contingent on whether they receive outside money. In fact, the school has dropped a couple of pretty large money bombs on the older one despite her being, from my perspective, fully funded. It's a good question to ask, but I don't believe that a school could do such a thing on a whim. If it's allowed, it's somewhere it that fine print, and it only affects what the school itself provides and perhaps some government funded financial aid.
I am not quite sure what you are saying here. I said that an outside source scholarship, meaning it didn't come through the school, can reduce any school-provided aid or scholarship. It's not in the fine print. It's in bold letters.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Understand what you're saying as far as money and people finding out who they are. That could also be explained in someone buying a convertible and then finding out later they hate wind in their hair. Or buying a full size truck and then realizing it's difficult to park. 🤣
Relevance of money , think dollar for dollar then and now would need to be compared.

Maybe by trying something you thought you wanted to do, is how you found out that wasn't for you and you were to do something else 🤷‍♀️ how much is that worth?

I went to college to play softball.
Imagine That! 🙂
No degree in that, however I have made a career of it! 🥳

College is a choice. Like any other big financial decision should be well thought through.
I was a big supermarket chain manager until I was 25 years old. What I learned from that experience wasn't what I wanted to do with my life; it was that I didn't want to spend my life in retail. The difference was that I got paid to figure that out!

Nov 5, 2014
Can you imagine going to a $75K school to find yourself? That's a very expensive proposition.
Couldn't agree more. I put an extraordinarily high value on education. Sent DD and DS to top ranked private high schools that cost more than most out of state tuition for public colleges and they both now attend colleges that are 80k plus but I think anyone would be crazy to pay this for a college outside of the top 50 or so schools.

If you are not going to an elite school you are much better off going to an in state public university which is about 1/4 the price. And even more importantly don't force kids to go to college that are not well suited for it. Have them learn a trade instead. They will have an incredible career and won't waste time/money on college that they are not likely to succeed at anyway.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I am not quite sure what you are saying here. I said that an outside source scholarship, meaning it didn't come through the school, can reduce any school-provided aid or scholarship. It's not in the fine print. It's in bold letters.

What you're saying may be correct under certain limited circumstances, and the link you provided talks only about the affect on need-based aid. That is one segment of a much larger funding picture. My kids don't get need-based aid, and no promised merit scholarship from the school has ever been cut because of an outside scholarship.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
What you're saying may be correct under certain limited circumstances, and the link you provided talks only about the affect on need-based aid. That is one segment of a much larger funding picture. My kids don't get need-based aid, and no promised merit scholarship from the school has ever been cut because of an outside scholarship.
What you said in your prior statement wasn't incorrect. It was unclear to me as it was worded, hence the reason I said what I said.

It is a school by school policy, so while what you said is true at your school, it's not the case everywhere. Unfortunately, scholarship displacement happens more frequently than it should, although some states have moved to prevent the practice. Most of the clients I deal with receive some form of need-based financial aid, which is why they come to me in the first place, but a lot of people also count on merit awards to bridge the funding gap.

Ultimately, the colleges are at fault here. The fact they reduce any award because of an outside scholarship is foolish. What you must understand is the colleges don't care about your finances so long as you pay them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802