Texas Longhorns/Miranda Elish

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2019
That’s you

That’s your answer “that’s life”? Not good enough for me. Hey coach I had 30 schools to choose from and I picked this school for a few reasons and your one of them. Trust in me the way I trusted in you.

If another job came along and offered more perks, more power/say in how program is run I would seriously consider the offer. For the same position to uproot my life just for money I would pass.

I’m probably in the minority here but I’ll leave you with this. If I’m a MLB player I would take greater satisfaction in being regarded as the best player in my position than the highest paid player in my position.

Money doesn’t always mean the best. Many times it just equates to people over paying. Markets change.

If I’m an owner I’m giving one year incentive laden contracts. None of these multi year guaranteed deals with no motivational lingo.
You seem to be saying White should show more loyalty to his players, and then say if you were an owner you wouldn’t show loyalty by giving long term contracts.

Whatever, I’ll agree to disagree, while saying I can see your perspective.
I’m sure there were other factors besides the money, and the players. I have no idea the politics involved, or if Coach White is originally from that part of the country. Maybe he has grandkids in Texas.
I’m just saying I’m not going to judge the man for making a decision he felt was best for him. And the girls he left at Oregon, as far as I know, they still get to get their scholarship at a D1 school that hopefully they chose based on some other merits aside from softball.

Dec 18, 2016
Mike put Oregon Softball on the map. Won several Pac 12 titles and a few trips to the World Series. He was getting paid $237K and Texas offered him $450K. He went back to Oregon and asked them to at least make a comparable offer. They said no. He left. Oregon eventually paid their new coach nearly 100K more to replace him. The AD missed keeping White by trying to stay low cost and it cost them in the end....at least for a few years. (IMO)

Most of the girls that left didn't go right away. Many locally suspect that some of the departures were more about the incoming coach (Lombardi) and her way of running things.

Apr 28, 2019
Mike put Oregon Softball on the map. Won several Pac 12 titles and a few trips to the World Series. He was getting paid $237K and Texas offered him $450K. He went back to Oregon and asked them to at least make a comparable offer. They said no. He left. Oregon eventually paid their new coach nearly 100K more to replace him. The AD missed keeping White by trying to stay low cost and it cost them in the end....at least for a few years. (IMO)

Most of the girls that left didn't go right away. Many locally suspect that some of the departures were more about the incoming coach (Lombardi) and her way of running things.

White's leaving Oregon was one of the biggest stories in softball last year along with mass exodus once Lombardi the replacement coach arrived. Google is your friend.

Ok that makes perfect sense. It always seems to work out that way. The school/organization low balls the good coach they have and he bolts for another position elsewhere.

While the new incoming replacement pretty much gets what the original coach was asking for and usually doesn’t pan out nearly as well.

Yeah and college softball is all over the sports news on a regular basis. I don’t think the casual fan would have heard this news I know I didn’t.
Now if you have your finger on the pulse of NCAA as you seem to I guess you would be in the loop.

That’s why I asked questions because I didn’t know the circumstances. Shoot me for not knowing the ins & outs of all 300 or so D-1 programs.

Nov 29, 2009

I think some of them made the decision immediately while others waited until the end of the fall season to bolt from the program. Not all of the players went to Texas. I'm trying to remember from last year. I believe one of the girls quit playing ball but is still a student at Oregon and another went to a Kansas school. I could be wrong.

Dec 18, 2016
Ok that makes perfect sense. It always seems to work out that way. The school/organization low balls the good coach they have and he bolts for another position elsewhere.

While the new incoming replacement pretty much gets what the original coach was asking for and usually doesn’t pan out nearly as well.

Yeah and college softball is all over the sports news on a regular basis. I don’t think the casual fan would have heard this news I know I didn’t.
Now if you have your finger on the pulse of NCAA as you seem to I guess you would be in the loop.

That’s why I asked questions because I didn’t know the circumstances. Shoot me for not knowing the ins & outs of all 300 or so D-1 programs.

Only know really because I live in the PACNW.....they're a fairly frequent topic....(lol)

Dec 18, 2016
I think some of them made the decision immediately while others waited until the end of the fall season to bolt from the program. Not all of the players went to Texas. I'm trying to remember from last year. I believe one of the girls quit playing ball but is still a student at Oregon and another went to a Kansas school. I could be wrong.

Kleist was supposed to go to Louisiana and Balint was going to play at San Diego State.....last I read.

Dec 11, 2010
Not curious enough to go look it up but if somebody has knowledge feel free to educate me. (That excludes you WW.)
I would like to congratulate you on the first funny post you have ever made. I actually lol’d.

Incremental improvement. There is more work to be done however.

Apr 28, 2019
I would like to congratulate you on the first funny post you have ever made. I actually lol’d.

You seem to be saying White should show more loyalty to his players, and then say if you were an owner you wouldn’t show loyalty by giving long term contracts.

Whatever, I’ll agree to disagree, while saying I can see your perspective.
I’m sure there were other factors besides the money, and the players. I have no idea the politics involved, or if Coach White is originally from that part of the country. Maybe he has grandkids in Texas.
I’m just saying I’m not going to judge the man for making a decision he felt was best for him. And the girls he left at Oregon, as far as I know, they still get to get their scholarship at a D1 school that hopefully they chose based on some other merits aside from softball.

Different perspectives from different positions in the organizations. Mgt has to have org as top priority.

Players seem to have themselves as top priority. There needs to be a happy medium to keep everybody content.

Given the circumstances it would appear White made the only reasonable choice he had. If your current school places that little value on what you bring to the table let em see how they do when your gone.

I just hate when players/coaches try to renegotiate contracts before current contracts expire. Look we negotiated this previous contract in good faith and we expect you to honor it. We’ll get together when it’s time to negotiate a new deal.

Ah WW who would have guessed you would respond. I’m not on this site for comic relief. Not looking to bust any guts.

I will say in response to your self proclaimed snarky insight you must first look within before you look outward. Ok WW son.

I can explain further if that went over your head and beneath your feet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802