Terrible Spring weather - Indoor practice alternatives

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
We have had horrible spring weather in which to play softball. It has been cold with rain/snow almost every day. Have played all of 9 games since mid-March. Just came off of spring break during which the weather was nice and now back in school so it's rainy and cold. We are trying to keep the players interest by doing things other than standard hitting/defense/inter team games/skills contests/etc. We had a team bonding bowling outing and tomorrow a swim day at the school pool all on days which had games postponed due to rain.

We are running short of ideas trying to keep the players engaged. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 18, 2015
Whiffle ball? Or use a TCB Hole ball (or something similar) to get a slightly more realistic ball flight. Not sure how those would work with a windmill motion, but could make for a few good intra-squad games.

May 6, 2015
sounds like you have an indoor space, assuming a HS gym or something like that, indoor kickball?

Nov 18, 2015
Piggybacking on mbakj's idea - dodgeball with the requirement that you must use IR to throw. :cool:

There's a clip out there of a dodgeball game where one of the participants is obviously a pitcher. (i.e. I'm too lazy to post the link myself...)

Apr 6, 2019
Get a dozen of heavy foam-rubber balls you can use for limited pitching and fielding practice.
Unless you have access to a gym really set up for indoor softball/baseball (netting set up to protect windows/light fixtures), you probably can't do much hitting practice.

I'm grinding my teeth because up to this year my team had free access to a school gym with tartan-floor surface in case of rain, but because our family is having an educational/ procedural battle with school administrators, we are now persona-non-grata, and it would cost us $50 an hour for the gym.

May 6, 2015
Get a dozen of heavy foam-rubber balls you can use for limited pitching and fielding practice.
Unless you have access to a gym really set up for indoor softball/baseball (netting set up to protect windows/light fixtures), you probably can't do much hitting practice.

I'm grinding my teeth because up to this year my team had free access to a school gym with tartan-floor surface in case of rain, but because our family is having an educational/ procedural battle with school administrators, we are now persona-non-grata, and it would cost us $50 an hour for the gym.
$50/hour seems like a bargain if you have a whole team practicing, $5 or less per playeer

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Have the hs gym with 2 cages and pitching machines. Have multiple hitting stations . Also can do infield. Issue is we have done about everything we can think of to the point where the players are sick of the same old. Yes we do competitive games but it only works so long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28