Tendencies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
What are you looking for (in game) to help your batters against the opposing pitchers? I am interested in what coaches or teammates are looking at to gain an edge aside from picking pitches, a recent thread. Help me pull the curtain back to understand if there's a method to the madness.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Patterns, pitching sequence which can and will probably change over the course of the game. But I am surprised how many coaches (pitch callers) will have pitcher throw FB low and away to every batter and it works. Your teams job is to disrupt her plan of getting ahead with that low and away FB.
Knowledge of THIS ump's strike zone. Don't complain about it, deal with it.
But most of all, encouraging a confident and relaxed focus in the box. Yes, Yes, Yes approach. First minute of this video.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
DD's 16u travel team had a lead-off hitter who frequently struck out to start the game and would come back to tell the entire bench how "super-slow" the pitcher was so she is easy to hit....Okay, Einstein, why aren't you on first base?

Jun 8, 2016
DD's 16u travel team had a lead-off hitter who frequently struck out to start the game and would come back to tell the entire bench how "super-slow" the pitcher was so she is easy to hit....Okay, Einstein, why aren't you on first base?
I've never asked DD what they say but I secretly hope it is stuff like

"Man, I got gas"
or
"She makes a funny face when she pitches"
or
"You see coaches' shoes today? Looks like he went dumpster diving for those things"

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The 'she is so slow' excuse has to be the dumbest thing ever. I never want to hear it. Then they try to sneak it in with "be late" advice. I don't want to hear it. Hit the damn ball.

Jul 22, 2015
I was always looking for patterns, particularly what the pitcher uses to get ahead of batters early. Those will usually be the best pitches to hit. Also, what pitch does she use most often with 2 strikes and where is it located.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I've never asked DD what they say but I secretly hope it is stuff like

"Man, I got gas"
or
"She makes a funny face when she pitches"
or
"You see coaches' shoes today? Looks like he went dumpster diving for those things"
First of all, my shoes are my shoes, and if you knew the stuff I crawled through to get them, ...

We ask our hitters to look at the pitcher warming up at the beginning of the game in order to see all of her pitches. Hitters can see things like infielder movements for location. They can see things like changeup action. We ask them the one essential question when they get in the box. Can the pitcher beat me with a fastball? From there, they determine where they stand in the box. The hitter can relay a sense of speed to the next hitter. Really, our work as coaches should be done before the game starts. Most often, I am confident that our hitters have a plan before they get into the box and can adjust from there.

Jun 8, 2016
Imo it is more important to know your own tendencies. No bigger sin then a hitter taking a pitch on a ball they can drive with less than 2 strikes because they were looking for a pitch which they wouldn’t hit as well anyway…Ted Williams agrees..

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802