Ten most important things for an infielder to do

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What do you think are the ten most important things for an infielder to do?

I'm looking for specific fielding techniques.

Jun 11, 2013
You need proper technique to be really good much of which comes from practice but to me there are 2 major things.

1. Know the situation. You need to know the score, who is coming up how many outs, speed of base runners, where OF is playing,etc.
2. Know what your are going to do in that situation.

This affects how you are going to play the ball in most cases. This is especially important for the middle infielders. You can't wait until you get the ball to determine where you are going to throw it.

Sep 29, 2014
I do think positioning and as @canyonjoe said situational awareness are two big things that get overlooked a lot.

We have all seen countless times where a ball is hit and your first thought is easy out but then as you track the ball to the infield you say to yourself oh no what is she doing playing there as she dives for and misses the ball because she is out of position. Then you also see the ball hit she makes the play it's an easy out but all of a sudden she hesitates for a second because she is not 100% sure where she is going with the ball and a we all know a second of hesitation is all it takes you simply don't have that kind of time.

As far as specific techniques I think there is not a lot of need to make things complicated, the basics are the basics MOVE get your self in position to make the play prefereable in front of the ball, GET DOWN that means your butt and your glove (even if you are backhanding it), LOOK at the ball don't lift up and out to throw it before your have it, SET your feet this will vary in meaning depending on the ball and position it could mean just throwing of one foot on a slow ball to third or getting completely set on a hot shot that you field before the runner is even out of the box or anything in between.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Proper footwork is probably 1-5 ;) Not too hard to catch a long hop or shot hop, 10 YO can do that consistently. The key is making sure you get them...

Co-sign on this. Not just footwork for fielding the ball, but footwork for going from fielding to throwing.

Can't tell you how many girls I see who have decent throwing mechanics when playing catch, but the second she fields a ground ball it all falls apart. They're often so worried about just getting rid of the ball they forget entirely about getting themselves in a good throwing position. It's something I'm going to focus on when we get started this year.

After you know where your going with the ball and the situation and the pitch location called. a more specific skill I teach to practice. At contact looking down your nose instantly decide is the ball hit right or left of your nose. Turn your hips that direction. As your turning your hips decide is the ball going up or down. Which will determine if your back leg is going to be stepping back (if ball is up) or sideways or forward depending on angle of downward hit ball. My cue is turn and sprint right or left turn and sprint. Practicing instant decision has made huge improvements on my team. I learned it for outfielding it can make 3-4 step diffence but works great for infielders also.

Jun 8, 2016
We have all seen countless times where a ball is hit and your first thought is easy out but then as you track the ball to the infield you say to yourself oh no what is she doing playing there as she dives for and misses the ball because she is out of position.
At the younger ages this is typically on the coaches unless you mean the kid is taking a bad angle on the ball, etc. At the older ages the MI typically get the signs from the catcher in which case yes it is their job to know where to play based upon the pitch, batter, situation, etc.

Jun 8, 2016
I'll add another 2 1)make sure you flash the pocket early and 2) on balls you square up make sure to catch it under your left eye (for a RH thrower) in order to keep your hands "soft"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802