Ten most important things for an infielder to do

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
They have more time in baseball. I once saw a 3B playing well off the line, backhand the ball and throw from 3 steps in foul territory and throw the guy out. Can that be done off a slapper? If you reverse the footwork Arenado is doing in the video, you can take only one step to throw. It is virtually do or die! Michael Young in the photo doing it my way. One step onto the right foot, and the throw is gone. But the key is touching the right knee to the ground (the down and up stops almost all momentum away from 1st or 2nd).
The speed of the game in fastpitch definetly requires attention to defensive details!

Transition speed is an ultimate requirement when plays need to be finished under 3 seconds! Including grounders with double plays!

Even fielding a grounder and drawing glove up to the ear or shoulder to transition can waste precious time.
Do not carry the ball around in the glove.
Tenths of seconds means the runner is closer to being safe.
(would you like the runner to have a .5 half a second advantage?)
3.0 to first or 3.5 to first
Now thats a big difference!

*Transition speed. Ball in Ball out.
Runner go sit down!

LETS THROW RUNNERS OUT!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Even fielding a grounder and drawing glove up to the ear or shoulder to transition can waste precious time.
IF need a shorter arm action in both baseball and FP. Bring the ball to the middle, don’t let the ball get below your armpit...same in both sports. Main difference is there are fewer plays in FP where you can take more than 1 step before throwing.

Dec 11, 2010
At the younger ages this is typically on the coaches unless you mean the kid is taking a bad angle on the ball, etc. At the older ages the MI typically get the signs from the catcher in which case yes it is their job to know where to play based upon the pitch, batter, situation, etc.
My wife and I played tennis for the first time in 20 years ago or so last week. It occurred to me that tennis is a game that quickly teaches taking good angles. Maybe even watching as a fan.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse