Telling the coach to take a hike...or burning bridges?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Exactly!! My DD wants to play at a high level and compete with girls as good or better than she is to keep growing in her sport. That’s why we are seeking a high level national team for her. She was on a team that did a lot of losing (developing) and where girls were projects for the coach to develop - she loves those girls but that doesn’t match her goals. It’s all about the right fit and an honest coach who tells the players up front what to expect.
Good example of people/players distinguishing the situation!

Have found useful when discussing with coaches about recruitment, or at tryout selections using this verbage...
Coach will ask or share their thots on a player..
Sometimes would answer with this question.
Does she have a purpose or is she a project?

In other words are you intending on utilizing player say starting 9 or is this a project to grow into next seasons spot?!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
Let's say you have 12 players.

If you asked them how to manage playing time, what would they say?

If it was proposed that everybody play at least half the time (1/2 the innings, 1/2 the at-bats of the average player), would they go along with that? Would they go along with 60% of the time)?

Given no adult influence whatsoever, how would this play out?

radness

Dec 13, 2019

If it was proposed that everybody play at least half the time (1/2 the innings, 1/2 the at-bats of the average player), would they go along with that? Would they go along with 60% of the time)?

Lol does it come with a 40% discount?

Great question look forward to replys!

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.

Happens like this in every rec game played. TB is not nor has it every been about the same things rec ball is. It is about playing at a high level. It now has evolved into different levels (of higher levels :ROFLMAO:). If a coach does not make it clear to every player and parent that is looking to join their team that all positions are earned as is playing time then that would be another problem for another discussion.

The vast majority of teams I have seen and been involved in do the same thing. Everyone gets into the games during pool play. Top 9 (or 10) play bracket. Its not really a secret.

And based solely on my DD's current team if given no outside influence as to who would play and how much I guarantee that the best nine would play.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Happens like this in every rec game played. TB is not nor has it every been about the same things rec ball is. It is about playing at a high level.

No, it isn't.

Travel ball is about playing tournaments.

All else is what you make of it. You might play a high level. You might not.

There are travel teams that play their bottom 3 players quite a bit and play at high levels. There are travel teams that stick with the best 9 in bracket play and play at low levels.

Back to the questions:

What would your players say? And do their opinions matter? And if not, why not?

Note: When I said play 1/2 the time, I didn't mean that everyone plays equally. If you play 1 pool game and 5 bracket games, half the time might mean 6 at-bats, 12 innings for some, 15 at-bats, 27 innings for another. That's not rec ball.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
No, it isn't.

Travel ball is about playing tournaments.

All else is what you make of it. You might play a high level. You might not.

There are travel teams that play their bottom 3 players quite a bit and play at high levels. There are travel teams that stick with the best 9 in bracket play and play at low levels.

Back to the questions:

What would your players say? And do their opinions matter? And if not, why not?

Note: When I said play 1/2 the time, I didn't mean that everyone plays equally. If you play 1 pool game and 5 bracket games, half the time might mean 6 at-bats, 12 innings for some, 15 at-bats, 27 innings for another. That's not rec ball.

My last paragraph answered the question.

You are asking questions and I’m sorry you are not receiving the answers you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Quick survey of about dozen parents 50% playing time would not keep them continuing with that team.
75% would be threshold.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
My last paragraph answered the question.

You are asking questions and I’m sorry you are not receiving the answers you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't read your last paragraph. Apologies.

What's important, IMO, is that coaches ask this question to themselves.

Whether I get certain answers or agree with them doesn't matter here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2