Tell me theorys on bunting....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Good point. How often do they mess up a bunt? Lol.....once again, we don't have a chart for that. We don't know how much it would effect the numbers. It would be a guess.

Point being, there are many more factors involved than just those numbers on the charts. Using those charts alone is oversimplifying the situation.
The only thing we know is that for population used to collect statistics, a man on 2nd with 1 out is worse than on a man 1st with no outs in terms of run expectancy…🤷🏽‍♂️

Oct 14, 2019
It's just not the bunting but stealing bases as well. Stop doing that too unless you are super efficient.
Not a fan of stealing 3rd. Too easy to throw out runner. Stealing 2nd with a fast runner is a decent proposition. Main reason not to steal in MLB is HR’s. Braves hit a ton of HR’s but stole only 59 bases. HR’s are not so prevalent in fastpitch. In MLB, even your 2B has home run power. Good glove, no hit is not even a thing anymore.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The only thing we know is that for population used to collect statistics, a man on 2nd with 1 out is worse than on a man 1st with no outs in terms of run expectancy…🤷🏽‍♂️
For the record, I would rarely bunt with runner on 1st, no outs. It would have to be a great pitcher My main concern is that ALL players on the team can bunt when called on to do so. Its important to the TEAM. Oh and BTW, I like hands together bunting. I think it is easier to control the barrel. Bunting should be as easy as catching a ball. OK, not that easy but ..... not that hard either. Practice bunting.

Jun 8, 2016
I will say that making decisions based on statistical models, without realizing the limitations of said models, was a major cause of the financial issues in the 2000’s (e.g. blind use of the Black-Scholes equation)…That was for you @RADcatcher 😉

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2