Tell me theorys on bunting....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I know that I will NOT be bunting one of my big hitters to ensure getting 1 run, when I likely might get 2 or more on 1 swing.
Trust me Lance, me as much as anyone gets what you’re saying. And my DD’s bat was hot as a match at that time, had been for awhile! But this pitcher averaged like 14 or 15 strikeouts a game!

When my DD sees that situation unfold right in front of her….you know, my DD with the hot bat who’s already been on base all three times….and she wants to bunt herself!?

That one (1) run was that important! If it wasn’t against that shutdown pitcher in the State Championship final game….hell yeah, swing away!

Jun 20, 2015
and it's a different deal late in game, tie score, team's struggled to hit all game versus 2nd inning, 0-0 and best hitter is up. i've called bunts to ensure we get a least 1 run in a tight game. Situational awareness is paramount.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How about the data of people reporting in this thread how bunting is helping their teams be successful!
Bizarrely there are people who ignore acknowledging the usefulness and effectiveness triple-threat slappers.
these people ignore or do not want to accept that there is a super gnarly challenging aspect that brings to the game to not know whether or not a batter is going to drop a bunt or crush the ball in their face.
Do you have comparable Analytics from Fastpitch to baseball on that. Or how about you just do some research and recognize there is this part of the game in Fastpitch that is not part of the game in baseball.

Here is another point about statistics.
As a general observation often times...
*When players bunt for a base hit it is recorded as a base hit. There is not a separate statistic that separates they're swinging bat average vs if they drop down a bunt or a drag or a slap for a base hit. The effectiveness is generally a visual recognition and acknowledgement that it produces results. Recorded in an overall batting average.

Other statistics or numbers that are useful in this discussion is the speed of the runner.
That's right a numerical measurable tool used to differentiate effectiveness of a player's ability to be on base due to the element of speed.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016

May 17, 2012
Again, where is this data? Can you show us? Would love to see it.

Are you asking me how to google something?

1. goto www.google.com
2. enter the phrase "fastpitch analytics"

The first result is a good place to start. We have had this particular discussion on this website (https://www.discussfastpitch.com/) many times. You can try searching through older threads where others have posted run expectancy charts and other good information.

Good luck.

May 17, 2012
How about the data of people reporting in this thread how bunting is helping their teams be successful!

Are you asking why people don't use anecdotal evidence to determine best practices?

Again no one is saying NEVER bunt. The general consensus is that you should be bunting less and hitting more. It isn't 2005 anymore.

The same way the midrange jumper has disappeared in basketball or why more coaches go for it on 4th down in football. It's just good math.

Jun 8, 2016
Your only point is analytics comparing sacrifice bunts to each other. Why don't you go get some details on the high-performing athletes use bunting slapping hitting as a fantastic resource go do that go do some analyzing.
The run expectancy charts mention nothing about sac bunts.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This has been a wonderful discussion again about the usefulness of bunting.
It's been fun but there's a Showcase in town this weekend and I've got to go time this batter triple threat who's consistently a 2.7 to first and will be meeting with a couple colleges to speak on her behalf.
Have a great day everybody!
👍

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The run expectancy charts mention nothing about sac bunts.
Ok.
Read my post I just wrote how come you/some people don't acknowledge other parts of the game try to bring more than just that one Hill you stand on. It gets pretty redundant when people don't want to acknowledge the other discussion points brought to conversations but that's your/some people style better to ignore that redundancy.
Good luck enjoy fastpitch!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802