Tell me theorys on bunting....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
And in MLB when they are facing the best pitchers in the world every night they still don't bunt. The defenses have shifted GIVING you a free base if you can bunt. And they still don't bunt. Math is the reason why...they can't bunt for doubles.

And before you bemoan the differences between MLB and fastpitch, we have analytics on fastpitch and the math is pretty much the same story.

No one is saying NEVER bunt. As other have said there are a few scenarios where you would think about bunting.

• You need a run at the end of the game;
  • left slappers as a triple threat;
  • the threat of a bunt;
  • you are so completely overwhelmed by the opposing pitcher (rare).

Sure you can beat up on weak teams when they are younger with the bunt. But when the teams are competent you are just giving away outs. As a coach if you are bunting early I will not bunt at all. The delta gives gives your team a larger increase in runs expected. That's how a good coach can actually impact the game on the field.
There you go again talking about the best pitchers throwing to the best hitters. That is a different situation then what most are encountering here.

It's okay Gunner shotgun you don't have to bunt and you don't have to like bunting. But the reality is it helps a lot of teams and people win and can be effective getting the ball in play.
( I'm not talking about baseball because I'm focused on softball. 🙂)

Oct 14, 2019
I’m just saying that applying the lessons of MLB analytics to fastpitch 8u-18u and even college is unwise.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Heck I would even bet if you factored in the probability of getting on base when bunting to beat a shift, it might even make statistical sense in MLB. It seems like was done at a higher percentage of time in this year's playoffs when winning the games may have taken precedent over big paydays...
Thats outstanding thinking towards the consideration of strategy.
*That's a compliment to you Mr. P👍

radness

Dec 13, 2019
As an example in travel ball Tony Rico's firecracker team consistently has smaller fast small ball batters. Watching them play against other top-level teams Like Mike stiths batbusters even mercado's 18u team they have outstanding defenses who go on to play in the top D1 colleges and the razzle-dazzle of the smaller fast small ball players chews up defenses who can't handle the pressure of the speed element. Not knowing if batters are going to swing through the pitch or bunt adds extra mental dilemma to reaction time.

Tony Rico's teams don't often win by being big boom hitters. Notable over the years

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The other issue that at the lower levels/ages in many cases you can probably get on base 3/4 of the time by bunting but what is that really doing in terms of development if you use it unlike you would at a higher level of play...

Oct 14, 2019
The other issue that at the lower levels/ages in many cases you can probably get on base 3/4 of the time by bunting but what is that really doing in terms of development if you use it unlike you would at a higher level of play...
very true. i can remember a particular jackoff coach at 10u bunting his whole lineup. He’s still a jackoff.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
That's a good point. also think it gives batters the opportunity to see and time pitches. And be able to compete with pitchers they would not otherwise be able to touch.

Since travel ball does not have good regulated level of teams playing against other level of teams there is that conundrum.

It also could be said that defense need to be able to be skilled at more then staying back and Fielding grounders.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Bunting purely as a sac is only for the slowest of runners. The later the hitter squares around the better chance of the sac bunt becoming a hit, too. I don't like squaring up early. There is a rhythm/timing to bunting. Bunting put pressure on defenses/coaches. I don't care what level. Another time I like to bunt is to draw first blood. Say 3rd inning, with runners on 2nd and 3rd, no outs, no score a good squeeze or semi squeeze bunt will get a run home 90% of the time and often 2 runs will score. I like bunting to the RH pitcher's backhand. Pitcher sees runner on 3rd breaking home out of the corner of her eye, panics and airmails the 1st baseman. Now, no outs, 2-0 us, and runner on 2nd. Bunt again. The opposing coach is now about to have a coronary.

Jun 8, 2016
Bunting purely as a sac is only for the slowest of runners. The later the hitter squares around the better chance of the sac bunt becoming a hit, too. I don't like squaring up early. There is a rhythm/timing to bunting. Bunting put pressure on defenses/coaches. I don't care what level. Another time I like to bunt is to draw first blood. Say 3rd inning, with runners on 2nd and 3rd, no outs, no score a good squeeze or semi squeeze bunt will get a run home 90% of the time and often 2 runs will score. I like bunting to the RH pitcher's backhand. Pitcher sees runner on 3rd breaking home out of the corner of her eye, panics and airmails the 1st baseman. Now, no outs, 2-0 us, and runner on 2nd. Bunt again. The opposing coach is now about to have a coronary.
You should be a football coach..a lot more opportunities to show your brilliance 😉

May 17, 2012

You can expect a little over 2 runs in this scenario (runners on 2nd and 3rd without no outs). Why are you bunting? Why do you hate your team?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478