Tell me theorys on bunting....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Never said otherwise..other than to say sac bunting is stupid most of the time..;)
Just a post to the discussion,
not directed at you!

I have never considered ever, not any time when I was bunting, that I was just sacrificing purposely an out.
From the amount of times that I was safe bunting, *damn glad I did it!
Helped my hitting game also because the defense didn't know what I was doing. it didn't matter what the situation was it was a strategy that tormented the defense. Hit/bunt from the right side.

Even though I played D1 with some really elite players. We had to face the best of the best pitchers. That was an element that challenged getting hits.
The teams that will win regionals will have to go face teams like UCLA Oklahoma Florida Arizona Washington they're going to have to find a way to touch the ball and put it in play.
And do that in combination to move runners.

May 17, 2012
Even though I played D1 with some really elite players. We had to face the best of the best pitchers. That was an element that challenged getting hits.

And in MLB when they are facing the best pitchers in the world every night they still don't bunt. The defenses have shifted GIVING you a free base if you can bunt. And they still don't bunt. Math is the reason why...they can't bunt for doubles.

And before you bemoan the differences between MLB and fastpitch, we have analytics on fastpitch and the math is pretty much the same story.

No one is saying NEVER bunt. As other have said there are a few scenarios where you would think about bunting.

• You need a run at the end of the game;
  • left slappers as a triple threat;
  • the threat of a bunt;
  • you are so completely overwhelmed by the opposing pitcher (rare).

Sure you can beat up on weak teams when they are younger with the bunt. But when the teams are competent you are just giving away outs. As a coach if you are bunting early I will not bunt at all. The delta gives gives your team a larger increase in runs expected. That's how a good coach can actually impact the game on the field.

Jun 8, 2016
Comparing MLB and the fastpitch we are talking about on this board is ludicrous. Laughable.
Again, the run expectancy charts which tell you that sac. bunting is dumb in most cases are similar for college fastpitch and MLB..bunting for a basehit, etc what you say may be true.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
I previously commented above about what I think about sac bunting. Also, you have switched the goalposts to college fastpitch, which is applicable to a small cohort of this board.

Oct 14, 2019
Fastpitch is very different than MLB. Start with the bases - 60 feet apart. In MLB, the fielder can get away with a bobble. Not in fastpitch. If a left handed fastpitch batter with speed hammers the ball into the ground and it bounces high, it’s almost indefensible. If the 1B crashes on bunts and the 2B covers, all the batter has to do is show bunt and the right side of the infield is open. You have to actually bunt once in a while to make the threat real, though. There are many more examples of effective bunt strategy in fastpitch that don’t apply in MLB.

Jun 8, 2016
Fastpitch is very different than MLB. Start with the bases - 60 feet apart. In MLB, the fielder can get away with a bobble. Not in fastpitch. If a left handed fastpitch batter with speed hammers the ball into the ground and it bounces high, it’s almost indefensible. If the 1B crashes on bunts and the 2B covers, all the batter has to do is show bunt and the right side of the infield is open. You have to actually bunt once in a while to make the threat real, though. There are many more examples of effective bunt strategy in fastpitch that don’t apply in MLB.
I don't see many people saying that using small ball to get on base in fastpitch is bad idea in many circumstances 🤷‍♂️

Jun 8, 2016
Heck I would even bet if you factored in the probability of getting on base when bunting to beat a shift, it might even make statistical sense in MLB. It seems like was done at a higher percentage of time in this year's playoffs when winning the games may have taken precedent over big paydays...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28