Tell me theorys on bunting....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Few years back in 12U all-stars we were in the championship game. We got struck out so much by this one pitcher - just couldn't get anything off her. We lost and played the IF game the next day. Coach has us bunting - they couldn't defend it properly - we ended up winning. Strangely enough, we played the same team again in another tournament and could hit off the same pitcher no problem. Ended up blowing them out.

I feel like bunting is great - if they don't expect it - it makes it easier. I wish it would happen more in baseball - if they switch to DH in both leagues - it seems like bunting will go away :( But, with the crazy shifts - maybe people will start doing it more.

Also fast runner - not great hitter - bunting can work.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
We have a coach who would never bunt particularly in showcases unless it was an elimination game and it was necessary. Of course, slappers can do what they want but his point was that coaches are not coming to see girls bunt.
Im coming to see the players do everything, hit, run, pitch, field and yes bunt. Show me everything you can do. If you cant bunt fine but if you can let me see it also

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Bunting theory…
Don’t bunt
Hit a dinger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you people are funny that would rather get their asses kicked by pitchers that are better than your team...

It's okay to have whatever strategy you want however ignoring that small ball defeats other teams is ignorant on purpose= small minded.
....Oh wait...blissfully narrow minded ...
That comes across kinder😆

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For perspective when people compare mlb to the dfp Forum on softball that includes rec ball, travel ball, high school ball and multiple levels of travel ball.
You're comparing the best of the best of the best pitchers and hitters against each other. To comparing a mixture of all levels of players on teams like on this forum....playing against eachother.
Strategies may be different because of that.

Mlb does not have a mixture of Talent on their teams that is so noticeable.
. Fact or do you want to dispute that?
go for it .... 🤪

What I am saying is every player in MLB that is a starter should be able to hit every other pitcher that is in the MLB. That is not the case for lots of teams that play against each other in this softball discussion forum.

That isn't even the case in college softball. There are definitely Talent disparities in teams that will play each other.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think you people are funny that would rather get their asses kicked by pitchers that are better than your team...

It's okay to have whatever strategy you want however ignoring that small ball defeats other teams is ignorant on purpose= small minded.
....Oh wait...blissfully narrow minded ...
That comes across kinder😆

I'm OK with small ball. I just don't like the sacrifice bunt. I don't want to give away outs. Using the bunt as an actual offensive weapon is great, and I wish my teams were better equipped to do so.

Jun 11, 2013
Dinger or bunt is a pretty easy choice. However, when you are looking at bunt versus an 80 percent chance of a K it's a little different.
I do find in Softball that the best hitters can usually bunt if needed unlike baseball.

Dec 11, 2010
You're comparing the best of the best of the best pitchers and hitters against each other. To comparing a mixture of all levels of players on teams like on this forum....playing against each other.
Strategies may be different because of that.
This is a good point.

I’ll add that college softball is pretty much as good as it currently gets. To get there you have to be one of the best players in the country. In MLB you have to be one of the best players in the hemisphere.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee