Tell me about the myths of softball recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
As the recruiter coordinator for a team in Texas, you can tell the difference between a family that is owning the process and the families that don't do anything. If a kid can't give me a list of schools that they are targeting, I can't help them. They think they will be recruited by just showing up to the showcases. I have no idea what is a good fit for the family. I tell them, it's very difficult to steer a parked car! If I have a list to work with, we can start talking about each school and why they think they want to go there and if they would be a good fit for that program. I know a kid that went to a Major D1 camp recently 5 states away. She say she wants to be a teacher. Why would you want to go to an engineering school to be a teacher when there are lots of mid majors in their back yard at half the cost?

If players are not reaching out to the coaches via email, snail mail, post cards, phone calls, smoke signals,etc they will have no idea the player has interest. And they wonder why XXX player verballed and they didn't...even if they are a better player! Players have to LOVE the game in order to play in college. Many players just think they want to play in college until they have to do the work once they get there.

The "my kid got a full ride" to XYZ D1 school is the biggest myth out there. Uh...your kid plays first base! When there is a roster of over 20, how is that possible? Yes, it can happen, but that is a rare feat. Hey parent, it's okay to say my kid's tuition is paid 100%, but room and board is on me. Or my kid got 50% athletic, 50% (academic, non disclosed special scholly, housing scholly, etc). I find it so weird that I run into all these kids that have full rides yet, no coaches have money! lol! If someone tells you about their kid's full ride, stop the conversation and get clarification.

My kid goes to a D3 and non softball parents assume that she got a full ride. I stop them immediately, and tell that D3's don't offer athletic monies, however she earned an private outside scholly that pays for 70% of her tuition. The rest is on me! And I take pride in the fact that I saved enough money in her 529 plan to bridge the gap.

Congrats on this! You should take pride in that! And every parent out there that is spending thousands of dollars a year on the next Rachel Garcia, should make sure some of that money is going into their 529 as Plan B, and make sure the academics are there for potential academic scholarship opportunities, and, let's face it, to support her for the res of her life when SB is over.

I remember back in the 14U days a really talented team that went pretty deep in ASA Nationals(135 teams) had a bunch very good players who I thought would be going to big time schools. Fast forward to now, many of those players got flushed out and no longer play. Several are playing at some mid majors, some D3's, one committed to an SEC team but then quit altogether her JR year(btw...didn't even start on her HS team). Don't worry about 12U/14U teams and burning them out. It's a game of who is left standing! And it continues into college. Just keep getting better and keep it fun and interesting. The rest will sort itself out.

When either of these stop, it's time to get out of the game.

Here are basic Truths in Recruiting:
  • Contact Coaches
  • Attend Camps
  • Contact Coaches
  • Find the right fit
  • Contact Coaches
  • ACT/SAT Early
  • Contact Coaches
  • Test prep(private tutor or class)
  • Contact Coaches
  • Find the best team that you can start on
  • Contact Coaches
  • Engage with your team's recruiting coordinator
  • Contact Coaches
  • Get on campus/tours
  • And don't forget to Contact Coaches
That's enough for now.
So, @Orange Socks, as we go through the process, I was left wondering if it is a good idea to contact the coaches of the schools she is interested in? ;)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Congrats on this! You should take pride in that! And every parent out there that is spending thousands of dollars a year on the next Rachel Garcia, should make sure some of that money is going into their 529 as Plan B, and make sure the academics are there for potential academic scholarship opportunities, and, let's face it, to support her for the res of her life when SB is over.

When either of these stop, it's time to get out of the game.

So, @Orange Socks, as we go through the process, I was left wondering if it is a good idea to contact the coaches of the schools she is interested in? ;)
I should have said "Politely Stalk" coaches. I also tell the players that they better know the coaches name, and be able to recognize them if they walk up to you.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I should have said "Politely Stalk" coaches. I also tell the players that they better know the coaches name, and be able to recognize them if they walk up to you.

Yep - I continue to use the 'like dating' analogy for most recruiting. It is a good one.

Also - create a separate email address for college recruiting and admissions - all kids should do this even if they are not athletes. Separating it out makes life much easier. They will get wave after wave of emails - mostly spamish/advertizing but still all good to have in one spot.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yep - I continue to use the 'like dating' analogy for most recruiting. It is a good one.

Also - create a separate email address for college recruiting and admissions - all kids should do this even if they are not athletes. Separating it out makes life much easier. They will get wave after wave of emails - mostly spamish/advertizing but still all good to have in one spot.
Yes! And make sure the email goes something like this. SallyMae2023@gmail.com Not: Ihitbombs05@gmail.com
Name plus grad year.

Jul 22, 2015
Uncommitted Seniors who can actually play are like gold. That recruit that is 2-3 years away isn't helping me keep my coaching gig if I don't have a SS or a C for THIS season and we go 7-33.

Oh and there is ALWAYS money for the right player. Most smart coaches have budget for transfers and late committed players.
I think this is so true and refutes one of the biggest myths. I was always told "If you're not verbally committed by the beginning of your junior year you are SO behind and there probably won't be any money." I've since seen so many seniors being recruited and realized there are opportunities all over the place if you search for them.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I think this is so true and refutes one of the biggest myths. I was always told "If you're not verbally committed by the beginning of your junior year you are SO behind and there probably won't be any money." I've since seen so many seniors being recruited and realized there are opportunities all over the place if you search for them.
And another myth. Coaches don't recruit at the 18U division. Wrong! Coaches are still recruiting after some players have graduated. With the transfer portal, there is more movement. I'm gonna start a new thread "over recruiting."

Jun 27, 2018
And another myth. Coaches don't recruit at the 18U division. Wrong! Coaches are still recruiting after some players have graduated. With the transfer portal, there is more movement. I'm gonna start a new thread "over recruiting."

My daughter is being recruited at 18u. She’s been talking to D3 and D1. One D1 coach told her they are still recruiting her class (2021). She’s attending a prospect camp next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2019
From our recent experience, even if you email the coach your schedule every week and you attend every camp offered by the school, even though you are more than 4 hours away, the coach will not invite you to campus for a visit even if they really want you to go to their school. You have to invite yourself for a visit. Then, after you do that, you will get an offer.

Nov 18, 2013
From our recent experience, even if you email the coach your schedule every week and you attend every camp offered by the school, even though you are more than 4 hours away, the coach will not invite you to campus for a visit even if they really want you to go to their school. You have to invite yourself for a visit. Then, after you do that, you will get an offer.

Um, no. It doesn’t work that way. Maybe one kid and one coach had that scenario, but it’s not a normal occurrence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28