Tell me about the myths of softball recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 29, 2018
I have recently heard so many people who I thought were fairly educated saying things that I know to be untrue or at least exaggerated or based on outdated information. Here are some examples that I have heard recently and I'd love to hear more.

Not knowing the difference in potential funding for aid between, DI, DII, DIII, Ivy, NAIA, etc.

Thinking any committed kid has a "full ride" in softball -- not knowing that it's an equivalency sport. Maybe you can get a combination of merit/need/athletic, maybe not. Mostly likely not a full ride.

That playing every weekend for many different teams at 12u or the "best teams" is what's going to make or break your future prospects, when the recruiting timeline has been pushed way back for softball.

But, maybe I am wrong. What are the myths or misconceptions you have seen or had yourself?

Jan 17, 2020
Full rides are rare. Don’t believe it’s going to occur. You play 4 years in order to get your degree, know why you’re there. Everyone gets homesick and slightly burnt out... every season. Just be there for her.
priority registration is a great perk. Know what it is and have DD fully use it.
house with off season athletes. That way when your on a down season, your roommates are gone up on theirs. Don’t forget the occasional NARP ( non athletic regular person) to round out a house. They have the most time.

May 27, 2013
Myths I’ve heard in the past - “D3 schools don’t really recruit.“
With DD’s journey we have learned that they absolutely do recruit and many are present at the major showcases. Was just at a camp for one this weekend and there were easily 40 girls there. You could also definitely tell which girls had been in contact with the coaches and who the top recruits were as the coach had them together in one group and was chatting with them quite frequently.

Another myth - “My dd plays for a well-known National organization now so she’ll be recruited easier.“
While it is probably true that more coaches will be at theIr games (for the players who had reached out) the player still needs to reach out to the coaches so they know you are interested in theIr school. Had a parent this weekend tell me that their dd doesn’t really email coaches too often because they see so many already watching their games. The parent (whose kid is a good pitcher) couldn’t understand why she wasn’t getting looks. I’m just shocked that the org’s recruiting coordinator hasn’t educated them on how the process works.

Jan 28, 2017
I'm more familiar with JUCO recruiting but the the number of scholarships are different at most schools. Some states can not recruit foreign players and some can. The big organizations with the elite team coaches name on it of course gets recruited harder but you have to be really good to begin with to make the team. Big name teams are becoming more and more diluted by just letting anyone use their name. I will say the jersey at camps does probably get you a glance but after one or two pitches that's over. DD went to a camp this week and a D-1 coached asked where she was from. We live in the sticks. She answered between two places that smaller than where we live. Coach looked it up on her phone and said you should be could you have nothing to do but pitch. LOL.

Jun 27, 2018
D3 coaches absolutely do recruit. What I am learning is they are typically later in the process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
Yes - used to hear it from a local org here whose team didn’t want to play in showcases or play better competition because the players on that team “only wanted to play at the D3 level, anyway.” Sadly the coaches and parents of that team / org have no clue how competitive recruiting is at all the levels of collegiate ball.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't know if this will qualify but I'll throw this out since I saw it so often. Don't believe that all of the players will graduate in those four years allotted for the scholarship. Many have to stick around and finish on their own. Also, don't ignore the fact that transfers are now a part of the game so, that position player ahead of your dd who is a senior might be replaced by a transfer.

May 27, 2013
I’m just thankful that this message board and my few years of researching has educated me to look at orgs whose main goal is to assist players with being recruited.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
As the recruiter coordinator for a team in Texas, you can tell the difference between a family that is owning the process and the families that don't do anything. If a kid can't give me a list of schools that they are targeting, I can't help them. They think they will be recruited by just showing up to the showcases. I have no idea what is a good fit for the family. I tell them, it's very difficult to steer a parked car! If I have a list to work with, we can start talking about each school and why they think they want to go there and if they would be a good fit for that program. I know a kid that went to a Major D1 camp recently 5 states away. She say she wants to be a teacher. Why would you want to go to an engineering school to be a teacher when there are lots of mid majors in their back yard at half the cost?

If players are not reaching out to the coaches via email, snail mail, post cards, phone calls, smoke signals,etc they will have no idea the player has interest. And they wonder why XXX player verballed and they didn't...even if they are a better player! Players have to LOVE the game in order to play in college. Many players just think they want to play in college until they have to do the work once they get there.

The "my kid got a full ride" to XYZ D1 school is the biggest myth out there. Uh...your kid plays first base! When there is a roster of over 20, how is that possible? Yes, it can happen, but that is a rare feat. Hey parent, it's okay to say my kid's tuition is paid 100%, but room and board is on me. Or my kid got 50% athletic, 50% (academic, non disclosed special scholly, housing scholly, etc). I find it so weird that I run into all these kids that have full rides yet, no coaches have money! lol! If someone tells you about their kid's full ride, stop the conversation and get clarification.

My kid goes to a D3 and non softball parents assume that she got a full ride. I stop them immediately, and tell that D3's don't offer athletic monies, however she earned an private outside scholly that pays for 70% of her tuition. The rest is on me! And I take pride in the fact that I saved enough money in her 529 plan to bridge the gap.

I remember back in the 14U days a really talented team that went pretty deep in ASA Nationals(135 teams) had a bunch very good players who I thought would be going to big time schools. Fast forward to now, many of those players got flushed out and no longer play. Several are playing at some mid majors, some D3's, one committed to an SEC team but then quit altogether her JR year(btw...didn't even start on her HS team). Don't worry about 12U/14U teams and burning them out. It's a game of who is left standing! And it continues into college. Just keep getting better and keep it fun and interesting. The rest will sort itself out.

Here are basic Truths in Recruiting:
  • Contact Coaches
  • Attend Camps
  • Contact Coaches
  • Find the right fit
  • Contact Coaches
  • ACT/SAT Early
  • Contact Coaches
  • Test prep(private tutor or class)
  • Contact Coaches
  • Find the best team that you can start on
  • Contact Coaches
  • Engage with your team's recruiting coordinator
  • Contact Coaches
  • Get on campus/tours
  • And don't forget to Contact Coaches
That's enough for now.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The biggest myth is that college coaches are all the same or like the same thing or know what they are talking about.

Just because they coach college ball doesn't necessarily make them experts on softball. Some are truly woeful. Some are not even full time coaches - I know many D2 coaches who are only part-time. More D3 coaches now are full time than ever before, but the majority are still not.

When I see "A D1 coach told me that ... insert whatever... and that is why you should/shouldn't do whatever" it is probably only applicable to THAT coach, and that coach alone.

And man, some are truly awful at communicating.

Uncommitted Seniors who can actually play are like gold. That recruit that is 2-3 years away isn't helping me keep my coaching gig if I don't have a SS or a C for THIS season and we go 7-33.

Oh and there is ALWAYS money for the right player. Most smart coaches have budget for transfers and late committed players.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee