Tell me about “Reverse Pitching”...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 22, 2019
...or, “backwards pitching.” When both the drive & stride legs are locked out & you wouldn’t be able to tell which was which from a trunk only photo. Hope I’m describing it correctly enough! I’ve seen the topic broached several times before in this forum but can’t find it by searching those terms. If you know what I’m referring to, direct me to a thread or offer up your info on cause & remedy? THANK YOU DFP’ers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I talk about "backwards" pitching with my team, but it is completely different than what you are talking about. Basically I look at it as a way to disrupt a hitter's timing. There are certain tendencies or patterns that pitchers tend to follow. Off speed or breaking pitches when ahead in the count. Fastballs when behind in the count. Etc,, Etc. We like to change things up. Our team will often throw 2-0 change ups, or even first pitch change ups. When facing our team, you will never know what pitch will be thrown in various situations. Always keep the hitter guessing. I apologize if this was not helpful...

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Not sure what you mean.

I understand "pitching someone backward" as leading with soft stuff and offspeed rather than with fast stuff. We had this happen to us in a game in the fall. A relief pitcher came in and threw change ups to each batter she faced early in the count. It was killing our girls because their timing was so messed up...even when they knew it was coming after observing the first couple of batters. Pitcher would then mix in her fastball and go back to the change up. Was very effective, especially after coming in to relieve a hard thrower.

Dec 22, 2019
Hmmm, let me try again! I am referring to when the drive leg goes to drag and the pitcher keeps it stick-straight vs. a soft, athletic knee like you see in Amanda below. When it’s straight, you can’t tell if the pitcher is R or L handed if you only see her trunk (no hands)....I’m looking for advice why it occurs and how to address it in a young pitcher.

I thought* I’d seen it referenced to a “reverse” or “backward” pitcher in this forum before.

Does that make more sense?

163160ff38798dc28688046297f2161a.jpg

May 29, 2015
Not a pitching coach ... but I would say if her drag leg is staying stiff (locked knee), she definitely isn’t transferring her weight. She’s keeping all of her weight back on that leg.

Thinking outside the box ... a sudden and drastic change in a player’s motion or routine can be caused by an injury she is trying to push through (or not say anything about).

Apr 12, 2015
You are probably thinking of this post from the Drive Mechanics stciky:

Its basically the result of poor drive mechanics.

How to address it is contained within that post.

Oct 4, 2018
I talk about "backwards" pitching with my team, but it is completely different than what you are talking about. Basically I look at it as a way to disrupt a hitter's timing. There are certain tendencies or patterns that pitchers tend to follow. Off speed or breaking pitches when ahead in the count. Fastballs when behind in the count. Etc,, Etc. We like to change things up. Our team will often throw 2-0 change ups, or even first pitch change ups. When facing our team, you will never know what pitch will be thrown in various situations. Always keep the hitter guessing. I apologize if this was not helpful...

Love the first pitch change up. Usually fools them and then confounds them the entire rest of the at bat. <-- at the 10U level.

Nov 8, 2018
It’s called reverse posture.
When the shoulders are behind the hips on plant. Necessary for resistance and stability as the drive leg accepts the weight of the body after drive.
Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802