Tell coach upfront

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
DD's hitting coach wants to see every AB from a tournament. I video them all and send them to him on Sunday evening. He uses them to help make a plan for next lesson. I even send him video of BP at practice if DD is struggling.

He made rounds to several of his students tournaments this weekend. He was at 1 game for DD Saturday. Think it was his 4th location of the day.

Team we just left, bunch of daddy coaches, always gave DD horrible hitting advice. (the were great coaches at most things, just not hitting) One even said "squish the bug" once. DD knew just to nod her head and do what she knows is right.

Just joined a new team and they told us up front that if DD was seeing a hitting coach they would not mess with her swing. They will talk to her about approach to an AB but not mechanics.
A good hitting coach is going to talk a lot about this too. Approach can be screwed up too! LOL

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD came home crying. I wasn’t happy since you should never talk to a kid like that. Maybe I should have talked to the AD but seldom does anything come of it.

There is a fine line between sucking it up and not taking crap. She didn’t want to look like a quitter or soft to college coaches during recruiting so she plugged it out. The HC left and the AC was not hired back. Unfortunately she still didn’t play as the AC/HC kind of planted seed she was not a good player.

Ironically 7 players graduated from her year who were on that team at that time. Only one got recruited, my DD has a great college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These type of stories remind us to keep a healthy positive perspective to keep our brains safe from negative influence.

If whats said is not positive or helpful or an interactive teaching/coaching communication...
It's probably unnecessary.

Glad to read your dd found a great college. Good for her!

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Just curious as to how many hitting instructors actually ask for video of game ABs? That is an advantage (I think that might be the only one other than cost.. 😂) of a parent working with their kid. You get to see every glorious AB (unless of course you take a walk to go sit under a tree to "watch" on GC..)

We video each players swing the first week of practice. Then again every 3 weeks. I find it a very useful tool to explain why something has changed for the better, why we are on the right path but not there yet, making suggestions, or in some cases leaving things be.

Mar 10, 2020
We video each players swing the first week of practice. Then again every 3 weeks. I find it a very useful tool to explain why something has changed for the better, why we are on the right path but not there yet, making suggestions, or in some cases leaving things be.
In what time frame is a h.s. school coach intending to reform a swing to get better results. Unrealistic to create new swing mechanics in time for 3 month season. H.S. not for re-working batters.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Well I'll tell you that some of these kids swings are awful because they don't play summer ball and they don't do anything outside of HS practice. So I do my best to help them at least put the bat on the ball and it helps them to see what I mean on video. It's just another tool to try and help them stay in softball.

May 17, 2012
The fallacy with this whole approach is that you assume
In what time frame is a h.s. school coach intending to reform a swing to get better results. Unrealistic to create new swing mechanics in time for 3 month season. H.S. not for re-working batters.

Yeah it's best to let them hit .219 for the HS season and continue down the path of mediocrity. After all the parents are paying for it...

Oct 26, 2019
Well I'll tell you that some of these kids swings are awful because they don't play summer ball and they don't do anything outside of HS practice. So I do my best to help them at least put the bat on the ball and it helps them to see what I mean on video. It's just another tool to try and help them stay in softball.
It sounds like you are doing a good service to the girls. Many folks think it’s not good instruction if you aren’t paying for it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Looks to me two people talking about two different situations.
An experienced travel ball player who has dedicated longer term training and development.
Then a H.S. school coach with low experienced players no summer ball.

Can understand both NBE/bullseye comments.
Comming from different places in the journey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478