Tell coach upfront

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I sort of went through this 2 years ago with two HS freshmen, only it was before I even had a chance to work with the players. In one of the first practices I told each of them that there was a simple change to get the bat into the hitting zone quicker. One was a little worse than the other. They both told me that the way they were currently batting was the way their TB HC wanted them to hit. I went so far as to show the parents what the simple change was and why it would benefit their daughter. They politely said no changes please.

Both of these players are decent defenders so I had to play them. They both could only hit below average pitching well and swings were late. I was going to "suggest the change" again this year but we never got to play HS ball. So granted it was only 1 tournament but I have seen both play TB this summer and they both struggled to hit the ball out of the infield. I just said hello to the parents and kept walking.

Feb 21, 2017
Great hitting coach is a valuable tool. It removes the too many voices in their head. My kids have been lucky to hit with a great instructor (former MLB player and current MLB hitting coach). They have had travel and college coaches notice the great swing path, the adjustments they make and how they actually have an approach.

I been watching 18U travel coaches (many are HS coaches) the last few weeks. Some make comments and suggest adjustments between every swing during games. I tell my kids to mostly ignore them, too hard to focus on a pitch and a new technique. FWIW it seems to me the good coaches can see a handful of swings and tell if a kid can generally hit.

That said DD1 got feedback from HS AC one time which as “You have the worst swing I have ever seen, you will never play” and “Your hands are supposed to be below the barrel of the bat on contact”

She never played in HS except a couple sub-in and senior day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Just curious as to how many hitting instructors actually ask for video of game ABs? That is an advantage (I think that might be the only one other than cost.. 😂) of a parent working with their kid. You get to see every glorious AB (unless of course you take a walk to go sit under a tree to "watch" on GC..)

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Just curious as to how many hitting instructors actually ask for video of game ABs? That is an advantage (I think that might be the only one other than cost.. 😂) of a parent working with their kid. You get to see every glorious AB (unless of course you take a walk to go sit under a tree to "watch" on GC..)
DD's hitting coach wants to see every AB from a tournament. I video them all and send them to him on Sunday evening. He uses them to help make a plan for next lesson. I even send him video of BP at practice if DD is struggling.

He made rounds to several of his students tournaments this weekend. He was at 1 game for DD Saturday. Think it was his 4th location of the day.

Team we just left, bunch of daddy coaches, always gave DD horrible hitting advice. (the were great coaches at most things, just not hitting) One even said "squish the bug" once. DD knew just to nod her head and do what she knows is right.

Just joined a new team and they told us up front that if DD was seeing a hitting coach they would not mess with her swing. They will talk to her about approach to an AB but not mechanics.

Jun 8, 2016
DD's hitting coach wants to see every AB from a tournament. I video them all and send them to him on Sunday evening. He uses them to help make a plan for next lesson. I even send him video of BP at practice if DD is struggling.

He made rounds to several of his students tournaments this weekend. He was at 1 game for DD Saturday. Think it was his 4th location of the day.
Nice!!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Great hitting coach is a valuable tool. It removes the too many voices in their head. My kids have been lucky to hit with a great instructor (former MLB player and current MLB hitting coach). They have had travel and college coaches notice the great swing path, the adjustments they make and how they actually have an approach.

I been watching 18U travel coaches (many are HS coaches) the last few weeks. Some make comments and suggest adjustments between every swing during games. I tell my kids to mostly ignore them, too hard to focus on a pitch and a new technique. FWIW it seems to me the good coaches can see a handful of swings and tell if a kid can generally hit.

That said DD1 got feedback from HS AC one time which as “You have the worst swing I have ever seen, you will never play” and “Your hands are supposed to be below the barrel of the bat on contact”

She never played in HS except a couple sub-in and senior day.

Nice read.
Its true sometimes not only can feedback from too many people become dismantling....
But also can be distructive comments
CanOfCorns example from HS coach
"You have the worst swing, you will never play".

My response might have been.
"You are the worst coach.
I will never play for you!"

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just curious as to how many hitting instructors actually ask for video of game ABs?

That is an advantage (I think that might be the only one other than cost.. 😂) of a parent working with their kid. You get to see every glorious AB (unless of course you take a walk to go sit under a tree to "watch" on GC..)
Raise my hand 🙋 i ask for video. Theres feedback we can review that can be slowed and snap shots of. Good for swing by swing compairisons.

How about how many instructors go watch there students play?!!!
Raise my hand to that also 🙋!
@texasck1 nice to read knows of an instructor who does as well!

Sometimes see in games situation little things that can make a big difference.
Even listening to coaches can get an understanding of whats going on within team atmospheres.

Will mention i make the suggestion for parents to take video....not all do.
Even nudge and nudge some recognize its importance and get the video going.
include suggesting parents learning to take video early on becomes a great tool for recruitment video later on!!!!

ADD this also.
I suggest for parents to take video of our hitting and catching lessons to show team coach what that looks like.
Plus use the video when seeking a new travel team!
Great introduction of skillsets for a new coach!!!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Not bad advice. In my situation, DD's well-regarded hitting coach, the HC, and myself have all been on the same page for years. I think I've learned at least as much as DD by just watching her lessons. When working with older players during team BP, I'm looking for effectiveness, but l'll tell them what I'm seeing when there's a noteworthy flaw. I stay away from the well intended but often complex and confusing language that I find here. I'm not going to rework a 17/18yo's swing during a team practice, but I did enjoy the reaction of one with a very flawed approach telling me about her hitting coach with me knowing that she sits near the bottom in every offensive category.
Yeah this definitely goes both ways. Sometimes girls "connect" with a hitting coach because of the coaches encouraging personality but have little to show for it. Also many times your TB coach has already forgot more about hitting than your friendly hitting coach will ever know.

Feb 21, 2017
CanOfCorns example from HS coach
"You have the worst swing, you will never play".

My response might have been.
"You are the worst coach.
I will never play for you!"

DD came home crying. I wasn’t happy since you should never talk to a kid like that. Maybe I should have talked to the AD but seldom does anything come of it.

There is a fine line between sucking it up and not taking crap. She didn’t want to look like a quitter or soft to college coaches during recruiting so she plugged it out. The HC left and the AC was not hired back. Unfortunately she still didn’t play as the AC/HC kind of planted seed she was not a good player.

Ironically 7 players graduated from her year who were on that team at that time. Only one got recruited, my DD has a great college.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802