Teenage players and team chemistry

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
I've had the same experiences myself coaching 16U. This past season, 13 of 15 girls on my team all played for the same school (this is a rec/summer-league team), and the 2 who didn't were each from different schools - 1 very much an introvert (playing because mom wanted her to) and the other more like a car warming in the winter (takes a little time but fine after). Because I had multiple girls from multiple levels, I wanted to make sure they could trust ME first (being an outsider) and respect I was doing the best for THEM vs. myself. If they can't trust me as a coach, it's useless to try and think they will follow my leads and work with me.

In practices, I always try to split up different girls into groups, or for scrimmage games picking different captains so the girls aren't as reliant on their cliques, etc. Occasionally I make the drills something involving a team vs. coach punishment, so the girls are bound to work together for a common goal (making me, the coach, do some kind of punishment). I've also done a couple of fundraisers like car washes where it's not softball related and the girls can hang out and have fun in a relaxing setting. Plus making some cash doing minimal work is always a good thing, too!

Jan 31, 2011
About 10 years ago I coached one of the best TB teams I've ever had. The core group kids were together for about 2 seasons and the tension was getting tough to handle. So, I got the kids all together after practice and said "Alright, lets get all of this out in the open and talk about it."

DON'T EVER DO THAT! It was the worst mistake of my coaching life. Kids called each other out and accusations towards our #1 pitcher of being a "Prima Donna" flew. It got ugly and out of control fast. Talk about dividing a team! Ugh! To be honest, it was the beginning of the end for that team.

I like the ideas of a team activity for a new team. Otherwise, like other folks have said. They don't have to like each other, but they do need to respect and work together. (a life lesson too!).

I have also found out over the years there are a lot of team communications going on behind the scenes. Most of my high school teams set up a snapchat group immediately and communicate that way. I had no idea at first. But now I know if I want a message to go out tot he team, just have one of the kids put it on snapchat! LOL. I remember the days of calling each player/parent one-by-one to pass on info. A 3-5 minute call x 15 kids use to take a long time!

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802