Tee work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
I have been working with 13yo DD the last few days on her swing. Swing is improving, although still a little long to suit me. anyway- here is the question. She is just having an awful time hitting the ball off the tee. she consistently swings under the ball. the weird thing is that she is banging heck out of the ball in soft toss, or front toss. sometimes I stand on a bucket & drop balls in front of her for a quick reaction drill & she does reasonably well at this too. What in the heck is the problem hitting a stationary target????

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I would start first with the T stacker to see if she is swinging into the center of the ball. If she is swinging down or up that is not good. They are sold on most softball sites, but you can make your own using PVC . It also teaches you to aim , not just swing at the ball. I mark all my practice balls with a Diamond on the sweet spot that I require my students to hit.

R

RayR

I have been working with 13yo DD the last few days on her swing. Swing is improving, although still a little long to suit me. anyway- here is the question. She is just having an awful time hitting the ball off the tee. she consistently swings under the ball. the weird thing is that she is banging heck out of the ball in soft toss, or front toss. sometimes I stand on a bucket & drop balls in front of her for a quick reaction drill & she does reasonably well at this too. What in the heck is the problem hitting a stationary target????

Without seeing her I bet she is trying to generate her own power and dropping her hands with the tee. Hitting a moving ball is sometimes easier in the sense that you focus more on the moving target and just swing.

Dec 3, 2008
MTS --

Describe more how she is having an awful time:

Is she swinging and missing entirely?
Is she hitting the tee?
Is she hitting the ball, but just not as well?
Does she pull the ball off the tee?

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
she swings low & hits the tee over 1/2 of the time. she does not pull the ball well unless the the tee is set far enough in front of her to be almostan exagertion.

Jan 6, 2009
sounds like she's droping her shoulder. Or hands are way behind the hips. You may want to just go to contact and see where her hands and hips are..we work that a lot off the tee, then go to full swing..

Dec 3, 2008
One way to help your daughter not drop her hands is to tell her to PULL at the ball instead of PUSH at the ball. Obviously, you do both in the swing. Your top hand pushes and your bottom hand pulls. I've found, however, that most people feel the swing as a pushing motion. If you can get her to think about pulling at the ball from her load position, she should shorten up and be quicker to contact while eliminating the drop-and-push motion.

Also, she shouldn't necessarily be pulling the ball off the tee. If it is set up down the middle, she should be hitting the ball down the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802