Tee vs front toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
She may not be an instant hitting pro but she's a smart kid to describe what she's doing like that :) That's exactly what she's doing.

Emphasis in the above sentence on *instant*. Just because we KNOW the answer doesn't mean she can implement it in a few sessions. 10,000 hours right? Maybe not that many to burn in a new hitting mechanic, but just keep working on the right stuff and she'll be MUCH better off than burning in the wrong stuff. I just think that's huge and something we forget. Sometimes the change is so incremental day to day but if you look back after a month or a year the changes are substantial. I look at someone like Eric F's daughter and her improvements are almost inevitable because she's been working hard on the right stuff for a long time now (plus she grew into a big strong athlete, yes).

Clemenslee1, keep at it, don't show your day-to-day frustration to her and you are doing her a great service (you too Pattar lol).

Positive thoughts for the day :)

Thanks for the positive thoughts. On the subject of changing her posture to match the ball. Is it because they don't understand to just use their eyes only to track the ball vs using the body to track? If that makes sense. Trying to understand it from their point of view

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I dont know if I'll ever figure it out either LOL She told me that when the ball is moving, she feels like she has to change her posture to match the ball.

This kind of self-awareness at her age is admirable, and leads me to believe she will be just fine. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but in the long run. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Keep moving (mostly) forward, and it's all good.

One of the things we commonly see - and I see it in these pics - is players turning their body differently with tee work because the ball is stationary, and right in front of them. They will often get themselves into positions that are unusable in a situation where they have to track an incoming ball. Here's an example of my DD doing exactly that... www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3Rp77S4QE

One of the things we can do is ask them to start their process while looking at where a pitcher would be throwing from (put something out there, if it helps), and mimic tracking the ball to contact with their eyes and head movement. I have found that this can help with the over-rotation issues that often happen while focusing on the ball on the tee.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
This kind of self-awareness at her age is admirable, and leads me to believe she will be just fine. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but in the long run. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Keep moving (mostly) forward, and it's all good.

One of the things we commonly see - and I see it in these pics - is players turning their body differently with tee work because the ball is stationary, and right in front of them. They will often get themselves into positions that are unusable in a situation where they have to track an incoming ball. Here's an example of my DD doing exactly that...www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3Rp77S4QE

One of the things we can do is ask them to start their process while looking at where a pitcher would be throwing from (put something out there, if you it helps), and mimic tracking the ball to contact with their eyes and head movement. I have found that this can help with the over-rotation issues that often happen while focusing on the ball on the tee.

This is makes complete sense. Its not something I really thought of.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for the positive thoughts. On the subject of changing her posture to match the ball. Is it because they don't understand to just use their eyes only to track the ball vs using the body to track? If that makes sense. Trying to understand it from their point of view

Learning how to be constantly loading until the moment of launch is a challenging concept. Try this...

Without a ball, have her move from her setup position to her launch position. Do this a bunch of times until she gets a feel for it. Next, have her do that as you toss a ball, and ask her to hold launch position as long as she possibly can (don't move!) before she swings at the ball. If she's late, that's okay - make an adjustment on the next one. The goal is to wait as long as possible, and swing as quick as possible.

The evolution is learning how to have a slow-and-early flow into an on-time launch against live pitching.

Oct 2, 2017
Learning how to be constantly loading until the moment of launch is a challenging concept. Try this...

Without a ball, have her move from her setup position to her launch position. Do this a bunch of times until she gets a feel for it. Next, have her do that as you toss a ball, and ask her to hold launch position as long as she possibly can (don't move!) before she swings at the ball. If she's late, that's okay - make an adjustment on the next one. The goal is to wait as long as possible, and swing as quick as possible.

The evolution is learning how to have a slow-and-early flow into an on-time launch against live pitching.
It sound similar to what I have her do often. I call it load, stride, pause. With the goal of reinforcing where to be at launch concerning posture, hands, coil etc. Except I don't toss to her doing that.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It sound similar to what I have her do often. I call it load, stride, pause. With the goal of reinforcing where to be at launch concerning posture, hands, coil etc. Except I don't toss to her doing that.

Add in the toss. After all, the goal is to get good at hitting moving balls, right? Being on time is the most critical factor in hitting (IMO).

Learning how to move the body without having to worry about timing and location is also important. Good job.

May 12, 2016
All hitters must learn to trust in their mechanics, young and old. Off the tee, it's easy to trust, but when live pitching, front toss etc hitters want to rush and get bat on the ball whatever way possible. My DD (14) and I have been at this long enough. She rushes things in a game, she starts early but still rushes. She needs to trust in her mechanics. Mechanics first I say, and that's what we are going to working on most in the off season with live pitching and front toss. Mechanics first, timing 2nd. Once she learns to trust in her mechanics, then we can work on timing. But honestly good mechanics should get a hitter there on time and in the best position to hit.

I am taking a step back from tee work and mechanics, and focusing more on live hitting and mechanics. Specifically for my DD, we will be focusing on everything that happens before heel plant first

Oct 2, 2017
All hitters must learn to trust in their mechanics, young and old. Off the tee, it's easy to trust, but when live pitching, front toss etc hitters want to rush and get bat on the ball whatever way possible. My DD (14) and I have been at this long enough. She rushes things in a game, she starts early but still rushes. She needs to trust in her mechanics. Mechanics first I say, and that's what we are going to working on most in the off season with live pitching and front toss. Mechanics first, timing 2nd. Once she learns to trust in her mechanics, then we can work on timing. But honestly good mechanics should get a hitter there on time and in the best position to hit.

I am taking a step back from tee work and mechanics, and focusing more on live hitting and mechanics. Specifically for my DD, we will be focusing on everything that happens before heel plant first

This is very true, and its partly why what Eric F. Suggested about getting to launch and holding and tossing the ball, makes sense. Its forcing a player to not be in such a hurry.

Apr 16, 2013
If I can make a suggestion... stop using the tee. ONLY do front toss. Not trying to mix her up and trick her, just simple, meatball BP. Focus on mechanics there. Use video, lots. Then go back and review it with her, showing her what she missed, or succeeded with. When she sees it with her own eyes, I found with my own DD, it really started to click. For me and my DD, 95% of all practice is front toss. Stop worrying about the tee swing and worry only about what she does with a live ball in the air. Also let her know you're not concerned with where the ball goes and how hard she hits it. That will come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802