Teammates not getting along

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
I know what the answer is here...I’m not really asking a question. Just looking for insight and any thoughts. The team is 18u.
I think my daughter is lucky. She has played since 12u and never had an issue with any teammates. This year though, she just doesn’t feel part of the team. She is 17, not like she’s 15 playing up. She’s an introvert and she doesn’t talk much. Kinda shy in social situations, but on the field is loud and will chatter during the game. On the bench and I guess when the talk goes away from softball she doesn’t relate to the drama of who’s dating who, etc. I don’t know if maybe this puts her teammates off. She’s been trying to get into conversations but when she does it’s awkward because no one really acknowledges her. This really wasn’t a problem but recently no one will warm up with her, she has to ask. She’s a catcher and suddenly one of the pitchers has been complaining to her. During the game there was a disagreement over signs. Pitcher doesn’t want my daughter getting into her throwing stance now (runners on) because it “messes up her target”. Things like this. Then when switched positions and my daughter got switched to third the pitcher expressed her happiness. Loudly. I noticed during the game my daughter was very low in her stance with a runner on first and I couldn’t figure out why. Then she told me after the game. She started out good yesterday but as the day went on she just looked so defeated. She is already planning on leaving after the Fall. They have one tournament left. Yes she’s going to finish. She does have offers from other teams. She could go play with them now but she will finish her commitment. Should she discuss this with coach going into next weekend or just keep quiet and finish. My gut says just to tell her to finish and don’t bother Coach. I’m thinking with 18u players coaches don’t want to get involved with drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2016
Too much going on here. Head Coach could of stepped in and said something to pitcher if he knows about it. Sounds like you are lucky enough to have options to play elsewhere.

You are not playing learning with 10-14 year olds.

1 year left to play softball. You and your daughter seem to have lost that warm fuzzy feeling with the team.

Most here might say to keep your head up high and finish season and thank the Coach for playing but your moving on after season ends, period.

Or not. ;-)

Not sure how long your contract with team is and if your able to play with another team with or without a release from current team roster.

Either way, good luck and hopefully you both find a team where you can both enjoy the game again.

Jun 11, 2012
She needs to talk it out with the pitcher and if that doesn’t work involve the coach. Those are two positions that have to work together because when they don’t the whole team suffers.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If there's anything more annoying to a older teenage girl than her dad telling her how to play, it's an unfriendly team mate telling her how to play. Keep quiet, finish, and explain to the coach in private upon departure. Coaches don't like getting involved in drama, but he probably saw what was going on and ignored it. He's now losing a quiet and probably hard-working catcher...nobody is happy about that.

BTW...tell your kid to play her game her way.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
wow, I thought a pitcher would want C in aggressive a stance as possible with runners on, to help erase BR (my DD especially loves erasing walks and HBP on the basepaths, she wants the Pitchers to know she has their back!)

probably best to just leave, but keep in mind, hopefully minus the Pitcher drama part, might be same elsewhere, especially if she is new girl on team joining in winter, ie rest of team may not immediately warm to her.

DD feels very luckly after doing a lot of team hopping early in career (different reasons each time), she thinks she is finally on her forever team (or at least forever org, as team is mixed in age group), girls all really seem to get along, and HC says and shows he really values players 1-11 (had one leave), and seems to really mean it, they all contribute, and when one is off, someone else normally steps up, and they all seem to value the different contributions different players bring. Really hoping this works out for her.

Jun 27, 2018
Oh I forgot to say, on her current team the coach allows the catchers to call the game. The pitcher asked for the coach to call the game (this never happened before, daughter really doesn’t know what happened but maybe she will address it next weekend). So the coach must know something is up since the pitcher asked him to call the game. Thank you all. I think she will just keep quiet and finish the Fall. She will talk to the coach after the tournament

Mar 28, 2014
I think she will just keep quiet and finish the Fall. She will talk to the coach after the tournament

Good approach. Appears as though your DD has just run across a royal pain in the butt. It happens. Good life lesson. Won't be the last one she runs across.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23