Team USA roster released

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Wow! All of that amazing talent. How do you decide....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2016
Wow! All of that amazing talent. How do you decide....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
They tryout and top scores help I'm sure.
6946af1e1cd76d4d637e5d175bf1bc2a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Interesting list.

Is Carda's bat so good she makes the team as a "UTIL" vs "P"?
Likewise, Jaquith listed at "UTIL" vs"C"?

And no Barnhill! Performance or illegality related, I wonder?

Nov 29, 2016
Looks to me like the key word this time around is versatility. I think everyone but Abbot and Cat can play multiple positions. Garcia and Ricketts can both hit for themselves and be used for pinch hitting. Also Ricketts has been practicing at first base. I think this hurts players like Lauren Chamberlain who are great at one thing but not versatile enough when they're only allowed to take 15 to the Olympics.

I think Barnhill was just left off because of room on the roster, you can leap all you want in the international game.

The biggest surprise to me was Mulipola C from Arizona. How good of a catcher must she be to beat out the others. Have to try to catch some more Arizona games this year.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Looks to me like the key word this time around is versatility.
[...]
I think Barnhill was just left off because of room on the roster, you can leap all you want in the international game.

maybe so. But I'm betting Barnhill's past history of difficulties fielding her position also factored.
If USA wants to beat Japan, they better be solid at all infield positions including Pitcher.

And like you said - she's not a hitter. And other choices like Garcia are.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Interesting list.

Is Carda's bat so good she makes the team as a "UTIL" vs "P"?
Likewise, Jaquith listed at "UTIL" vs"C"?

And no Barnhill! Performance or illegality related, I wonder?

I would expect that her mental game would be a big concern. Will be interesting to see how she does this season without Rocha.

Aug 21, 2008
Versatility is the key. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Olympics uses the same "rules" as the upcoming Pan Am games this year: 15 player roster, not 18. That means you need a couple designated pitchers, and as many utilities as you can get! Losing those 3 bodies, dropping form 18-15 is HUGE.

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802