Team Trading Pins

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
So, anybody know anything about this whole team trading pins thing. Our girls (12U) are planning on playing in the USSSA WS in KC, MO this year. What's the deal with the trading pins? I've been told it's very important to the girls.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
trading pins

We haven't come across trading pins for softball yet...12U North East

But my 11U DD plays travel soccer and they trade team patches ... it is very important to them. Been doing this for 2 years ...

Kind of a "badge" or memory from the teams they play.

At least they only play 12-14 games each season..not 50+
LOL

Jan 15, 2009
Most likely, at a large regional event like that, the girls won't have yet set their equipment bags down before someone will ask them if they want to trade pins.

May 13, 2008
Yes. At most WS events they have an opening ceremony were the girls are introduced. Usually before or after the girls trade pins and such. Also, gift bags are traditionally traded with the first team one plays.

Jan 15, 2009
It's one of the rituals of Nationals for softball that the girls trade pins. they are tons of sites to help you design and get your pins made. If you get things done early usually the cost is pretty reasonable $1.00-$3.00 per pin. You don't have to get enough to trade with every team at the tournament, I usually let my kid get about 30 and that is one of the things we fund raise to pay for.

May 21, 2008
Some girls are into the whole pin thing...some are not. My DD had like 20 pins last year and I think she bothered trading about 2 or 3 before she lost interest. I guess she'd rather beat 'em than barter with 'em :)

Dec 28, 2008
Last time I was at an event with pins "danglies" and "blinkies" were the big rage. Of course by now they probably have Twitter ready MP3 playing pins that also take pictures.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Trading pins are a great tradition at the softball world series, especially at 12U and under. By 14U most of the girls have become "too cool" to trade pins. Plastic wrist bands and Mardi Gras style beads have also become popular as "bartering" items at the pin exchanges.

If my DD was 10U again, I would get @ 50 team pins and a box of Mardi Gras beads for her to trade with. Trade the pins with other teams in her age group and trade the beads for other teams.

Yes. At most WS events they have an opening ceremony were the girls are introduced. Usually before or after the girls trade pins and such. Also, gift bags are traditionally traded with the first team one plays.

This is on the money!!

Get the pins and make a gift bag to trade with the first team---in the gift bag we usually have stuff from where we live--about $10 per bag is our price point.

Oct 2, 2012
This is on the money!!

Get the pins and make a gift bag to trade with the first team---in the gift bag we usually have stuff from where we live--about $10 per bag is our price point.

Pins were big last year at 10WS in Branson. They can get really pricey! Start early with those. The design process plus the time it takes to get them really adds up. We cut it close last year starting in June for early July WS. Also, they need something to put the pins on after trading. I bought a lanyard, but others used towels, etc. Some of our girls liked the pins better than the process of trading. It's hard for the shy kids!

We participated in the gift bag exchange too. Some go over the top with that. Others just a few fun items and some regional things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802