Team Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2016
Weekly Time Commitment for NCAA Softball Players:
AthleticAcademicTotal Hours 2018
Average Weekly Hours (In-Season) HoursHoursper Week
NCAA I Softball393978
NCAA II Softball343973
NCAA III Softball274471
Average334174

If you want to play college Softball expect the athletic commitment to require nearly as much time as the academic work load - basically 2 full-time jobs! And contrary to popular belief, Division III softball requires the same commitment of weekly hours as Division I. Developing efficient time management skills in high school is key to becoming a successful student-athlete in college. Source: NCAA Goals Study

From this website: http://scholarshipstats.com/softball.htm

May 6, 2015
Depends - HS or TB?

DD’s TB team has 2 3.5 hr practices each week plus they are expected to have private hitting/pitching/catching.

DD’s HS team (they play in the fall here) practiced from 3:30 until dark every night and then had to run. They practiced every day they didn’t play M-Sat and they were expected to do a one hr workout after every game as well. (Or more if they lost). Saturday practices were from 8:30am-1pm. And the field was “open” to the girls on Sundays for hitting “on their time” if the wanted. It was frustrating because they still had homework on top of this...makes for a very stressful season. My DD loved it - me - not so much - watching her sleep only 3-4 hours a night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coach should be fired. he needs to leave them time to get homework done, possibly do other xtra stuff as well. not saying if a given player is driven and it cannot be their only thing, but should not be a requirement to play HS ball that you practice/train almost more than you are in class. coach is really losing sight of what his job is (and if he fears for his job if he does not win, then AD has lost sight).

May 6, 2015
You asked a question about practice at any age and I answered. Your child will more than likely practice or play 5 days a week in HS. DDs conditioning and captains practices started after winter break, second week of January and her season ran through April. If you make it to state tourney it ends at the end of May. Not a short season at all.

After reading your other posts, you seem angry about additional practices that weren’t discussed. I can understand that, but it is coming if your DD continues to play in HS and college. Sounds like it’s time to have a discussion with your DDs coach.
yes, but for HS practice, parents are not rushing home from work or leaving early, trying to ram some dinner down the collective throats of the family (yeah, some of us have more than 1 kid, imagine that, only child parents should never be allowed to schedule anything), and navigate rush hour to practice. Hs is different, yes, expect practice every day, but the kids are already AT practice when bell rinsgs.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
yes, but for HS practice, parents are not rushing home from work or leaving early, trying to ram some dinner down the collective throats of the family (yeah, some of us have more than 1 kid, imagine that, only child parents should never be allowed to schedule anything), and navigate rush hour to practice. Hs is different, yes, expect practice every day, but the kids are already AT practice when bell rinsgs.
Did you read the original question? “AT ANY AGE”. Did you read my entire response? I agreed with the OPs issue. Why you’re quoting me and complaining about your family’s scheduling issues is beyond me. Hope it works out for you.

May 6, 2015
Did you read the original question? “AT ANY AGE”. Did you read my entire response? I agreed with the OPs issue. Why you’re quoting me and complaining about your family’s scheduling issues is beyond me. Hope it works out for you.

I was merely trying to point out that yes, practice everyday for HS (any sport while in season) is normal and should be expected, but it also is not nearly the scheduling/time crunch problem for most that non school practices are, trying to illustrate the difference. I (as well as most I think) can live with the scenario I described a few times a week, but HS practice does not involve all of that, so practice every day does really not affect the parents and possibly other siblings as much. (trying to provide a glimmer of hope). ;)

Apr 20, 2015
I really think the age and the goals are a big factor in the answer here. This is off season for all but those kids currently in college that just started up. IMO no one including college bound goal oriented kids should be having softball specific team practices 4 times a week. Especially if the team is younger than 14u. Solely from the standpoint of over use injury you are asking for trouble. Now if some of these practices are not softball specific but are speed and agility then I think you simply have a different goal in mind than the coach. I personally don't like doing those practices as a team, nor do I like doing hitting specific training as a team. I think those things are better done in small groups or one on one for more individual attention and team practice is for defense, throwing, catching, base running etc. This philosophy seems to work pretty well for my daughter's organization. My daughter is a workaholic when it comes to sports and school. Most weeks she does a combination of weight lifting and speed and agility 3 x a week. Basketball practice or a game after school 5 days a week, hitting lessons 1 to 2 per week and team practice on the weekend. If we had to try to fit in 3 more days of team practice it would be madness.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2019
Depends - HS or TB?

DD’s TB team has 2 3.5 hr practices each week plus they are expected to have private hitting/pitching/catching.

DD’s HS team (they play in the fall here) practiced from 3:30 until dark every night and then had to run. They practiced every day they didn’t play M-Sat and they were expected to do a one hr workout after every game as well. (Or more if they lost). Saturday practices were from 8:30am-1pm. And the field was “open” to the girls on Sundays for hitting “on their time” if the wanted. It was frustrating because they still had homework on top of this...makes for a very stressful season. My DD loved it - me - not so much - watching her sleep only 3-4 hours a night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

now that is excessive....we’re they successful after all that practice?

My oldest daughter played HS, travel and rec (they needed a player and asked her) one year. She had a game or practice every day. We left a tournament and had to rush to practice more than once and once we left a game from team and rushed to another teams game...changing uniforms in the car...about 5 weeks in, we told the rec coach we couldn’t physically do it anymore. everyone in our family was exhausted from running around like our hair was on fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802