Team name regarding a birth year or graduating year?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
Is graduating year naming more of an older team thing? In 2 years of 12U and 1 year of 14U, haven't seen a team with graduating year in the name. I'd need to do some thinking for a minute to give you my own kids graduating year....

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Is graduating year naming more of an older team thing? In 2 years of 12U and 1 year of 14U, haven't seen a team with graduating year in the name. I'd need to do some thinking for a minute to give you my own kids graduating year....

I think so because it does make a difference in terms of recruiting. So, 2021's are about to be juniors and able to be recruited in September by D1 schools. My DD is on a team with mostly 2021's but she will only be a sophomore. College coaches refer to them by grad year, not age.

Feb 3, 2011
In the younger divisions, use the birth year to help families in their team search. In the older divisions, you don't really need it. The players should have their grad year as a part of their email address.

Jun 12, 2015

Around here it seems like it started out that way but has spread to the lower age groups.

May 6, 2015
just a side note, on older DDs FH team, some teams, especially in u16 and u19 (FH is U first, then age), under the players number on the back, put their grad year as well, so college coaches can see automatically what year a girls is (an so that a 2022 like my older DD playing with 2020s can really stand out ;))

maybe fastpitch teams can start putting it on sleeve or something maybe?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
just a side note, on older DDs FH team, some teams, especially in u16 and u19 (FH is U first, then age), under the players number on the back, put their grad year as well, so college coaches can see automatically what year a girls is (an so that a 2022 like my older DD playing with 2020s can really stand out ;))

maybe fastpitch teams can start putting it on sleeve or something maybe?
Team are already putting grad years the sleeves. If they have committed they put the school's logo instead.

May 10, 2019
Just read a post and figured I would ask.

When naming a team what do you prefer the year of the team to be listed as, and why? For instance, let say the team is called Ballers 16u. Would you prefer the team to be called Ballers 16u, Ballers 2020, or Ballers 02? Does the label for the birth year, or age make any difference?
I use our name to highlight our year long theme. We are the New Jersey Gators 14u - #SPARK. This way they are seeing the theme and talking about the theme all the time. the hashtag is on our instragram account all the time. Below is how we introduced it for the season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28