Team Change After Fall

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2020
Excellent.

I do question the families that stay on a team where they barely ever play.

There is a 12U team in our state that’s notorious for packing the dugout with 17 players for tournaments but only a core 9 ever play. The rest will punch run maybe once during all of pool and bracket day. Been going on for years.

I think the reputation has caught up with them because a lot of those players fled as soon as they aged up to 14U. Saw a lot of those ticked off parents at private tryouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 10, 2018
This happened with DD's new team this fall 16/18U. The team was new - 5 aged up girls in the org, 4 moved from a different team in the org and 4 new girls. The team was getting to know each other and gel but weren't playing that well this fall and the aged up girls' parents were really upset about it and complained at every post showcase dinner we had (not seeing their DD's contributed to the lack of success as much as the other girls). They all wound up leaving after the last fall game. Once that happened other parents got nervous and a few more left. The remaining girls were split up and put on 2 other teams in the organization. A shame, they just needed to gel and work on a few little things to be really, really good.

Sep 7, 2020
Those extra innings will help her vastly improve and will pave the way to a higher level team down the road.
We left a team that my DD was a 50% starter. She unfortunately only had a 2nd 3rd SS and CF worth a damn behind her which made for really long games. When I asked the Team Manager what his plans were for tryouts (we were loosing two for aging out) he was - well we are in good shape, we are picking up A and B players from our other 14U team. A was a strong catcher but would still leave a gap in L/R and 1st. B was an OK utility player but would pout when she wasn't playing 3rd (we had a better than average 3rd base). There was no discussion about adding a 3rd arm or a couple true outfielders to the mix. I did this one three different occasions prior to us leaving.

DD is much happier now being a solid #2 and alternating with 1B 2B and RF on a team where any of the girls can and do play any position.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2019
We left a team that my DD was a 50% starter. She unfortunately only had a 2nd 3rd SS and CF worth a damn behind her which made for really long games. When I asked the Team Manager what his plans were for tryouts (we were loosing two for aging out) he was - well we are in good shape, we are picking up A and B players from our other 14U team. A was a strong catcher but would still leave a gap in L/R and 1st. B was an OK utility player but would pout when she wasn't playing 3rd (we had a better than average 3rd base). There was no discussion about adding a 3rd arm or a couple true outfielders to the mix. I did this one three different occasions prior to us leaving.

DD is much happier now being a solid #2 and alternating with 1B 2B and RF on a team where any of the girls can and do play any position.

I'm in a similar situation and I'm getting ready to change teams. Of course, your DD's happiness is what is most important. Do you think the reduced circle time has slowed her development?

Sep 7, 2020
I'm in a similar situation and I'm getting ready to change teams. Of course, your DD's happiness is what is most important. Do you think the reduced circle time has slowed her development?
We have just started with this team but I don't think it will. She actually has a goal of pushing to win the lead starter position. Only time will tell though.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Excellent.

I do question the families that stay on a team where they barely ever play.
Have you or they ever thought about why they aren’t playing? Maybe work on getting better? Put in some effort? Ask the coach why you aren’t playing? One of the major issue with sports today and it seems especially in softball, is players and parents don’t think they have to develop or get better, just be on a team of C or B players, and think they will make the HS a team etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478