Teaching Youth Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Interesting viewpoint. It sounds like there should be a little more emphasis on hitting live pitching or as close as possible and less on tee work.

Oct 2, 2017
Interesting viewpoint. It sounds like there should be a little more emphasis on hitting live pitching or as close as possible and less on tee work.
I personally feel it should be equal if possible. Not everyone working outside of games and team have access to live pitching.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
When DD started I pitched over hand to her, she could hit. Hopefully most people have access to an over hand P.

Personally we never hit off a tee too much. She looked OK hiting into a screen but did not look good at all hitting off a tee on a field.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
The gentleman has a number of videos like this on YouTube. He does a lot of work with younger players.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
This is such a great name for a thread. This instuctor is really focused on the process for teaching young players. Believe his recognition of the athleticism and strength of a player is crucial in their development. Have a word document listing many of his YouTube videos that you are welcome to use. PM me with you email address if you would like one.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If you spend hours on and off the field with your DD ... learn to pitch underhand. It really isn’t that hard.

You don't really even have to pitch underhand. My front toss is just a little step and throw. I do the arm circle, but no backswing or anything. It's not a full pitch. It's not at full speed, but I'm also from ~30 feet away so it doesn't have to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog