Teaching to throw hard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2019
Looking for advice on helping a young 12 year old throw harder. She can throw hard, but tends to hold back, as if she is nervous to throw too hard to someone, tentative-like. As if you were soft throwing to a small child, I feel like she does that. She may worry about aiming, not sure though. Anyway, best practice to just consistently throw hard while playing catch or into the bow net? Just repetition?

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
if you can measure it, you can improve it. so, slight variation here - have her throw to you as you keep increasing distance and measure the distance. as she gets into the habit of throwing harder, begin varying the distance, long, short, etc. side note- a rocket throw to 1st from 10 feet away is not a good thing. :)

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Did she ever hurt a teammate, like hitting her in the face.?

Oct 22, 2019
Did she ever hurt a teammate, like hitting her in the face.?

No.
I think it's more nerves and getting stuck in her head. Like she is afraid to mess up so she kind of holds back, wihtout even realizing it. i want her to just field the ball, throw, without thinking. Need to work on the muscle memory and her reaction time.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
No.
I think it's more nerves and getting stuck in her head. Like she is afraid to mess up so she kind of holds back, wihtout even realizing it. i want her to just field the ball, throw, without thinking. Need to work on the muscle memory and her reaction time.
This gentleman does a lot of drills preparing for the throw and throwing. Maybe something in the video will help.

- Infield drills - Tony Medina

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Start out with tennis balls. Then move to 11" softies and finally 12 in. Softballs.

Make sure she has the correct motion.

Break hands in the mid chest. Pull back the throwing arm initiating scapula retraction. Level with the ground. Throw at 1 o'clock arm slot. Oh and then there's the footwork. All those contribute to speed on a throw.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Start out with tennis balls. Then move to 11" softies and finally 12 in. Softballs.

Make sure she has the correct motion.

Break hands in the mid chest. Pull back the throwing arm initiating scapula retraction. Level with the ground. Throw at 1 o'clock arm slot. Oh and then there's the footwork. All those contribute to speed on a throw.
Maybe these pictures can help show her.

Attachments

• Throw-1.jpg
    Throw-1.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Throw-3.jpg
    Throw-3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Throw-12.jpg
    Throw-12.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 11