Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
When she started full swings she had a lot of misses under. Is that just part of what y’all are working on? How would you address a player that uses HLP but misses under consistently? Looked like pitching machine was running it up there pretty good
She tends to lift the elbow and is a little late but yes we’re working on squaring up. Speed of the machine was 60 to 65.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The On and Around part of the HLP is what makes this method special IMO. This put together with the other principals can improve a hitters timing and adjustability to the pitched ball.

This is a component that still needs a better verbal description (IMO). The term "on and around" is vague. "On" what? "Around" what? There has to be a better way to phrase this that people can relate to.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
On and around the rear hip socket, I know your asking for others and I agree 100%. I struggled to understand this and over cooked the tilt because of not understanding.

I understand the movement, and how it feels in my own body. It's one of the fundamental pieces of the HLP, and those who haven't felt it don't truly understand the pattern.

Nov 16, 2017
What I see in a lot of Richards stuff is a backwards finish of the head that looks off balance. Sort of leaning backwards. I am not trying to pick on this player here just saying what I am seeing. I also see a crazy high finish of the hands. Also Trout gets leveraged and then he swings, he never shows the shift is the swing pattern.

1654118396112.png

1654118481873.png

He is off balance as all get out right here. I don't get it. This is just not a good thing.

1654118778349.png

Reactions: TDS
Nov 16, 2017
Ooops I just read the previous post. Disregard my comments and carry on the TM love fest. Mods could move this to the hlp vs thread.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Ooops I just read the previous post. Disregard my comments and carry on the TM love fest. Mods could move this to the hlp vs thread.
If you didn’t want to embark on a TM love fest why would you click on a thread called “Teaching the high level pattern” ? Did you expect to see an analysis of Shakespeare?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802